1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does anybody else dread taking assembly?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by bedingfield, Apr 20, 2010.

1. PS I have to do one once a week !!!!!

2. Grow up and remeber why you entered teaching!

3. Hi everyone hope my article on assemblies helps :)

http://www.cuttothechase.co.uk/index.php/how-to-plan-and-deliver-a-good-assembly-in-schools-part-one

Have fun!

Lee

4. Perhaps not the most constructive of advice?

5. Yeah, don't be mean!

6. Would it help if you did the assembly with a colleague? My experience when I was a H.T. is that when it was put to teachers how they wanted to do assemblies they decided working together was best because it shared the workload, gave them support in the hall esp. if one teacher was new to the staff or an NQT OR just on the shy side and it helped with behaviour. The teachers found this very good because the children saw how they got on together and things were more relaxed. It was also easier when they wanted audience participation - if you are on your own you have to think really fast if things don't go according to plan and not know children's names can be a problem. In addition staff didn't stay as often because working in pairs meant it was easier to keep up with the assembly plans.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I agree with nick909, I totally switch off when at other peoples assemblies, so wouldnt notice if the teacher was nervous or not very good. I am also a bit of a rotweiller when it comes to kids talking in assembly and spend my time glaring at or moving miscrients. Dont worry no one will notice. I always try to have something interactive, getting kids to come out and hold stuff etc. That always wastes time as you wait for them to clamber out. I only do KS1 assemblies these days as a nursery teacher but have done whole school with another member of staff occassionally. I find it difficult because I dont know the older children's names which makes it harder to manage behaviour.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I can't speak for the OP, but I certainly didn't enter teaching with the aim of taking assemblies. As far as I'm concerned, whole school asssemblies should be done by Heads and Deputies. I don't think class teachers should have to do them. It's bad enough having to do a class assembly each term (although I do grudgingly accept that these should be part of my job!)

9. Waterfin

Waterfin New commenter

I agree. We trained to teach - to teach! I believe that our terms and conditions require that we attend assemblies according to the school's policy, but not to lead them. Personally I don't do an assembly at our place because I do my fair share of weekly singing practices.

10. c0okiemunster

c0okiemunster New commenter

In our school we don't have any other teachers in with us unless we ask for a collegue and quite often we use the BBC school radio assemblies that can be downloaded or you can order the CD for the term. It limits how much you have to talk and gives non contact for the other teachers/group work with a few members of their class. Perhaps you could suggest this to your school? I think you will get more confident with giving assemblies but it takes time.

11. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I don't know about terms and conditions, but if taking assemblies is such a vital part of teaching, then why was it never covered on the PGCE course that I passed 2 years ago?
    Thanks to all those posting helpful replies. After what Forest5 said I wasn't going to post on this thread again but the replies afterwards made me realise that the majority of those on TES do want to offer help and advice. I've got another 4 weeks now until I need to take the next assembly and I will think about the suggestions offered on here and consider, which will help me the most.

12. Firstly, I agree taking assemblies is horrible to start with but you do get used to it. I always get rid of the staff. Most are happy to leave as am i when its not my turn. If one insists on staying i try to find an errand for them to do. If you ask for a 'necessary' item in the hearing of the children they can't really refuse!!
    One trick i have always used is to involve my class or at least some of them. Turn it into a mini class assembly with me visibly overseeing it - eg. when i had to so an assmbly on the recent Haiti disaster - used chn to produce a new report with various characters being interviewed about the way it affected them - the doctor, the aid worker, the parent the survivor as wel as the interviweer and the TV reporter back in the studio. They loved it and it took the focus off me.

13. How unsupportive !.
    I was never "trained" in taking assemblies and I was never allowed to sit on one when on TP either. I have only ever seen Heads take Celebration Assemblies and award certificates or have the kids to tell them off about something. I have yet to see my Head take a religious assembly !.

14. Of course we do !!.

15. May be too late now, but I site I use often is www.myschoolassembly.co.uk. The resources are great - wide spread in terms of subject and all the assemblies are fully scripted, which make them extremely easy to take. There are also class assembly scripts on there which may help.

16. My God, assembly posts are like buses, you wait for ages and then they all turn up at once.

I wonder if jallison has met grr? They would get on like a house on fire[​IMG]

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Assemblies...no-one's quite sure why they exist...no-one's brave enough to get rid of them. Rather like the majority of the Royal Family.

18. I'm the same, so I started putting lots of "real" stuff together that can be amusing as well as having morals. Feeling confident that the kids will enjoy a story of yours is a huge help. It took time but you are welcome to use it on:

bobuntine.com

Good luck!

19. valencia

valencia Occasional commenter

I am a HLTA and have to take assemblies, you get do used to them. We (HLTA''s) also have to host PDM's. (not too keen on them though!)

20. I dread doing assemblies. I have one coming up in a few weeks, has to be something to do with learning from setbacks. Any ideas would be GRATEFULLY received.