1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does a permanant post have to be advertised?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lizzy123, Mar 20, 2012.

1. I have been doing a one year contract for a teaching job that was offered to me(not advertised). The head seems really pleased with how it has gone and has said that it will become a permanent position in September if I would like to apply for it,but it would have to be advertised.
    I feel a bit uncomfortable applying for a job that I seem to be doing in a satisfactory manner.All my lesson observations have been at least good and I have a good relationship with the staff,pupils and parents.
    Is this just a way of politely saying we could get someone cheaper and as good. I don't want to be put in a position where they are just going through the motions. Friends have said the Head could appoint me if she wanted to keep me.
    I have said I would be happy to do it for another year on a one year contract because in 2 years time we will be in a redundancy position with school restructuring.
    Any views please?

2. I have been doing a one year contract for a teaching job that was offered to me(not advertised). The head seems really pleased with how it has gone and has said that it will become a permanent position in September if I would like to apply for it,but it would have to be advertised.
    I feel a bit uncomfortable applying for a job that I seem to be doing in a satisfactory manner.All my lesson observations have been at least good and I have a good relationship with the staff,pupils and parents.
    Is this just a way of politely saying we could get someone cheaper and as good. I don't want to be put in a position where they are just going through the motions. Friends have said the Head could appoint me if she wanted to keep me.
    I have said I would be happy to do it for another year on a one year contract because in 2 years time we will be in a redundancy position with school restructuring.
    Any views please?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No post other than that of head teacher need to be advertised, but it is fair and good practice to do so, and if the policy of the school is to advertise permanent posts then it is well and good that the school consistently follow that policy. It would be unwise to set a precedent away from that practice from the schools point of view, as then any (excuse my humor) temporary useless old, or young duffer could expect to be handed a permanent post in similar circumstances in the future.