1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does a part time SENCO get a full TLR?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Bomb, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I'm a full time class teacher and I currently receive a TLR for the SENCO role at my school and I receive half a day release time each week to fulfill this role. I' m thinking of going part time (50% job share for class) plus half a day each week to do the SENCO role. Should the TLR payment be pro rated or should I receive the full amount (because there's only me doing the SENCO role?
    Thanks

2. You cannot have a full TLR payment if you are part time, it would be pro-rata.

3. Coolgiraffe

Coolgiraffe Occasional commenter

From NUT guidance

Part time teachers must, according to the STPCD, be
    paid on a pro rata basis to the total FTE pay rate (including any TLR payment)
    for the post occupied. Where a part time
    teacher undertakes the full additional responsibilities of a promoted post, it
    would clearly be unfair if they did not receive the full value of the TLR
    payment for those responsibilities simply because they are employed on a part
    time contract. In such cases, the NUT
    advises that their contractual working time should be adjusted in order that it
    both fully reflects the additional time spent undertaking those additional
    responsibilities and provides the full additional payment for such
    responsibilities.

Where two part time teachers share the duties of a
    post of additional responsibility, there should be a formal job share
    arrangement setting out the division of responsibilities and the basis for
    payment. Where one of the job share
    partners undertakes a larger part of the additional responsibilities, schools
    should adjust the working time provisions of the arrangement to ensure that the
    TLR element of the pay is allocated accordingly.

4. Surely you should be on a SEN 1 or 2 ( circa £2000 or £4000) not a TLR. All monies, including base salary are paid pro rata in schools. I suppose there might be some sort of single R+R payment, but I would not count on it.