1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does a governor's child get any preferential admission?

Discussion in 'Governors' started by missaks, Feb 18, 2020.

1. missaks

missaks New commenter

Hello I just wondered if besides all the positives of being a school governor, if it would serve any purpose in getting your child into the school e.g if a selective school

2. afternoonclerk

afternoonclerk New commenter

I'm no expert on admissions but I'm pretty certain the answer is no, never. (If it's not then it should be).

State-funded schools have to follow the Admissions Code here; https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-admissions-code--2

There will be different policies at different schools (and some will be set by the LA, not the school) but governors cannot be paid and there are rules on conflicts of interest. If a governor role came with the promise that little Jonny would leapfrog up the waiting list that would be seen as a major benefit in some schools, worth far more than a few quid.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

No it makes no difference .

nomad likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

There's been at least one case where a vicar has been governor of their local CoE school, but their child didn't get a place because the vicarage was too far away!

nomad likes this.
  5. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

School admissions law does not allow any priority to be given to governors' children in a state school, selective or otherwise.

nomad likes this.