1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Does a broken big toe need a trip to A&E?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lilyofthefield, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Son2 came back from football tonight having had his big toe kicked in a 50-50 tackle whatever that might be. It is red, painful and very swollen. He can move it a bit. Is it worth a bloody trip to A&E? Do they do anything for broken toes? Son1 had a similar injury five years ago and didn't go (he was a student) and it's never been right since.
    If it is broken will leaving it till tomorrow morning make any difference? He's sat there with it elevated and bag of ice on it atm.

2. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Sometimes broken big toes are strapped to help them heal straight.They don't bother for other toes usually.
    It could wait until morning when A&E might be a nicer place

3. That's all the encouragement I need to avoid three hours with the fighting drunks :)

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

o one of those nice poly clinics?
    either way if he can suffer the qgony he should get it checked by the morning!

5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Do go though. I heard somewhere that you can lose your other 4 toes and get by reasonably well, but if you lose your big toe, you have to learn to walk again.

6. My brother has broken his big toes numerous times playing football. Docs dont really do anything. They sure are funny looking now!

7. Hi Lil.
    It needs checking even though they won't do anything other than strap it to it's neighbour.
    The problem is if the impact was blunt to the front of the toe it could have caused damage to other small yet crucial bones in the foot.
    A&E a necessary pain, pardon the pun.

8. This would have been better posted on the Health and Wellbeing Forum.

9. I'm busy recovering from a broken big toe.
    A&E did x-ray it, confirmed that it was broken and told me there was flip all they could do for it.
    Mind you, I was also strapped to a spinal board and bleeding profusely at the time. [​IMG]

10. I bet I can guess who did it!

11. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

that must have been one hell of a tackle, preproomboy!

12. Why didnt the OP phone up: A) the Out of Hours Service.
    B) The General Practitioner.
    C) NHS Direct.

13. My father in law?! It's usually him...

14. Yep, car won, PRB and motorbike lost [​IMG]

15. No, it was Andy!

16. Three and a half hours later and it isn't broken. He has been told not not play football for three weeks though. Do you still make it to the pub?

17. Aaaaahhhh no! Motherhood has scuppered most of my drinking now! I went last night because my mum babysat for us :)

18. I stop these tablets tomorrow (hurrayyy!!!) but can't come next week because I will just have had the vein op grrrrr. Not sure codeine and beer is a great mix.

19. It's almost as good as Rohipnol, lily.

cyolba :)