1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

dodgy tummy - ok to drink herbal tea?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Coffeebean102, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I have had a dodgy stomach for a few weeks now, but not so bad I haven't been able to work. I felt a bit rough yesterday but again, nothing terrible. However, today it has all caught up with me and I keep getting leg cramps and my legs feel really heavy. Have never had that before with a tummy bug, what is that??
    Have been sick twice this morning but that seems to have stopped for the moment. Do you think drinking herbal tea (e.g. lemon and ginger) would be ok? It's the only thing I fancy but am scared it'll make things worse.
    x

2. Hi everyone,

I have had a dodgy stomach for a few weeks now, but not so bad I haven't been able to work. I felt a bit rough yesterday but again, nothing terrible. However, today it has all caught up with me and I keep getting leg cramps and my legs feel really heavy. Have never had that before with a tummy bug, what is that??
    Have been sick twice this morning but that seems to have stopped for the moment. Do you think drinking herbal tea (e.g. lemon and ginger) would be ok? It's the only thing I fancy but am scared it'll make things worse.
    x

3. I've replied to you over on Personal. I wouldn't touch anything other than regular small sips of water to keep hydrated. If you have ice cubes then suck those.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

The usual advice is to eat or drink what you fancy. It won't make you any better or worse.

5. I would try and sip a dioralyte to balance the salts and stuff back up if had a dodgy tummy.

6. Thanks everyone. I have spent most of the day on the sofa with absolutely no energy. It feels like a real effort to even get up. I'm wondering if lack of salts is what's causing the leg cramps? I don't have any dioralyte in and I live alone so may have to ring a friend to get some for me. Supposed to be going out tonight, so gutted I won't be going :(.

7. Losing all yoursalts via diarrhoea is certainly one way of getting cramp. In the absence of Dioralyte, full-fat Coca Cola, if you can face it, is said to be as good as anything for replacing them.
    You can make your own Dioralyte - half a teaspoon of salt and 6 teaspoons sugar in a litre of water. Tastes disgusting [​IMG].

8. Lol Lily, that sounds like it might come straight back up! My stomach is now making very loud gurgling noises :-/ Will hopefully be better to go back to work on Mon, so much to do!

9. Main thing is to stay off anything containing milk for up to 48hrs but to keep your fluid levels up to avoid dehydration which will make you feel even worse. Usual remedy is plain boiled water-plus some kind of sugar/salt mix. If you don't have dioralyte or don't fancy the home made stuff try flat coca cola or lemonade (not the low cal stuff that has sweeteners which can act as a laxative). If you only have fresh fizzy drinks you can add sugar to take away fizz. Other possibles are boiled water with a bit of sugar added, and our old household favourite was (proper not low sugar) ribena made with boiled water. If you still fancy your herbal tea-ginger would settle your stomach but the lemon may be acidic-but you could always try a very weak one and add some sugar.
    Be careful when you start to eat again; my doc used to recommend mashed potato for my kids when they had stomach upsets-you want starch to fill you but nothing too difficult to digest (Inside of a microwaved baked spud would dobut not with loads of butter!)
    When you start to feel and eat normally again, try eating some natural (organic) bio-yogurt first thing in the morning and last thing at night to sort out the bacteria in your stomach that were lost when you were sick.
    And remember if you are not properly well on Monday, don't go in; no-one will thank you for passing on a nasty stomach bug, nomatter how busy you are.

10. Thank you jj, how lovely of you to write all that advice :). I didn't know about avoiding products with milk, so that's useful. Haven't eaten anything since Friday night so am going to attempt something today as I feel really 'empty.' I dont feel particularly hungry though. Legs have calmed down although I feel quite wobbly on my feet, probably from lack of food. Am hoping to be at work tomorrow if today goes ok, but we'll see.

11. Ugh am off work today, didn't sleep a wink last night and I feel really wobbly on my feet. Got a friend bringing over some Diarolyte later so hopefully that will help. I hate taking time off, feel really guilty even though my school is lovely.