1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dodgy hip!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by firmandfruity, Nov 1, 2011.

1. Your symptoms sound like mine were about 5 years ago. I had an X-ray which I didn't see but was told it was normal wear and tear for someone in their late 40s. I had some physio which helped a bit. However, things got progressively worse until about 2.5 years ago, I was walking with a really bad limp, was in constant pain and wasn't sleeping well because every time I moved in bed, the pain would wake me up. During this time, I had various visits to the G.P. and was sent for more physio. After a weekend away when I could hardly walk, I went back to the GP yet again and was referred for more physio. This time, the physio was superb and said I needed to see an orthopaedic consultant. I had another X-ray and this time, asked to see it. The whole hip joint was badly damaged with osteoarthriris. The consultant said it need replacing straight away.The hip replacement went really well and after 6 weeks I was back in the swimming pool and teaching part time.

2. I get flareups of something similar sounding - where I struggle to get up properly after being sat down and where it really hurts at the max forward and back bit of each step when walking - the last flare up lasted a good month or so and was at the point where I was considering the doctors when (inevitably) it went away again.
    Next time I'm going cos they're getting worse in duration when they happen.

3. That sounds really similar. I don't particularly get pain, but it is incredibly stiff after sitting and it feels like I can't straighten up or I can't extend that leg all the way back when walking properly.
    I've had a few weeks off my exercise regime due to being away, parents evenings etc and tonight was a painful experience. The leg on my bad side just doesn't seem as strong as the other. Hopefully it is just because I subconsciously favour the other leg or something, but I'm going to keep an eye on it and go back to the docs if it continues.
    I also am going to try (again) to shift the weight I've put on as I'm sure that can't be helping.

4. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Do you know Waterfin I once had what sounds like a very similar problem with my hip where it felt like you described, as if it had dislocated when I first got up. In fact, I couldn't move it for a few minutes and even though not painful at this point, was stiff when I began to walk. I found it worse when at school ( more stressful environment? ) or when using low seating-it vanished completely in summer. When it became much more painful an X-ray revealed nothing with doc not surprised considering I was in late twenties. However, I did find taking cod liver oil of enormous benefit and symptoms ceased completely. I did notice they returned when, for instance I forgot to take the supplement on holidays. Nowdays I have no problems at all. I would definitely try this and hopefully it will help.

5. Since ditching my physiotherapy exercises (because it felt a lot better) mine has come back ten times worse. I never thought I'd be tempted back inside a gym ever again but it was a hell of a lot better when I was jumping around a bit more!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. I feel your pain, Lily.....literally.

7. I'm back!

4 years older and 4 years further down the line.

I did go back to the GP.

They sent me for an xray and a blood test to see if I had arthritis. They came back negative.

The GP told me that my xray showed nothing (except for a bit of spondilitis in my back) and that it should settle down.

I waited and then went back to the GP again after my hip gave way under me as I was running up some stairs in a restaurant. Embarrassing!

They told me to self refer for physio. The lovely physio lady tried her best but the exercises made my pain worse and increased the number of times I had pain.

She referred me (2 years ago now) to the hospital. I saw a random triage nurse who prodded and poked me and declared I probably had bursitis and I should have physio.

I went through another wait for physio and saw a chartered physiotherapist this time. The exercises still made things worse, however and he gave up and referred me to the hospital as he thought I needed a scan.

A year and a half ago I was finally seen at the hospital by a surgeon. I was also starting off with suffering from trigeminal neuralgia, so it wasn't the best time of my life.

The orthopaedic surgeon studied the pic of my by then 3 year old xray and pointed out the problem.

I have what is known as a cam impingement. The top of my femur is not as smooth and round as it should be and it catches and causes pain and possibly damage to my labrum.

He sent me for an x-ray guided steroid injection. It provided relief for a few weeks and then things got bad again. There was a bit of fuss with a cancelled appointment where I made sure that I told his secretary the results of my injection, which was what my meeting was to discuss, and asked her to pass on those details. I'm glad I did as it meant that I got a letter through from his saying that as the injection provided only temporary relief, I needed surgery.

I'm having an arthroscopy (keyhole) surgery in ten days which will have a look at what's going on inside my hip, clean it out, shave away some of the excess bone and trim or repair any of the labrum that may remain.

It's a joy to think that it's finally being sorted.

Timing as far as family is concerned is great. The children will be in school, are old enough to not need me ferrying them around and I will have 5 weeks before we are away on a family holiday. I'm likely to be on crutches for a few weeks, but don't know how long until the surgeon talks to me about what he has done post-surgery.

However... as far as work is concerned, it's nightmare timing.

It's a week before our inspection. I'm aware that it is a possibility that the operation may be cancelled, so am planning with the fact that I could be there in mind. But I'm also having to sort everything out and make sure everything is bang up to date to transfer it to my partner teacher, who normally teaches our class on Thurs and Fri covering my PPA and my part time hours.

My head teacher is very supportive, but not terribly impressed with the timing!

8. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Sorry to hear you are still having problems.( When I saw thread title, I immediately thought I should respond, since what you wrote struck such a chord with me, not realising I had already done so 4 years earlier!!) Indeed all your symptoms were identical to mine, including hip 'giving away' at times. However, while I had stiffness it didn't sound half as painful as yours! One thing I forgot to mention, since I do/did a lot of walking is having shoes with thicker soles helped a lot as found walking (thin soles) exacerbated symptoms. Also, like others have said, a decrease in exercise, which probably explains why it was much worse when school (lots of stairs) resumed in September! That and the stress since worse when tense! In addition, changing from higher to flatter shoes was another factor.

However for some time now, unlike you, mine appears to have cleared up to the extent I had practically forgotten about it all! Incidentally, I met an old uni friend recently and one of the first thing she asked about was my hips-so it had evidently been a problem then as well!

Good luck with the procedure and let us now how it goes!

9. Sorry to report that, just minutes from being called down to surgery and after having all the pre-op things gone through that morning, my operation was cancelled due to a lack of beds suitable for operation patients on the ward I needed to go to.

The surgeon only operates one day a month out of my local hospital and I can't make the next month's date due to a family holiday, so I'm now counting down to my next op in 8 weeks time.

I hope this one goes to plan!