1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dodgy Head?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by samtheman, Apr 1, 2012.

1. It has come to light that a newly appointed HT may have a record of proven bullying/harassment that resulted in moneys being handed over ( At this point I do not have all the facts but beileve thius may have been in the form of a fine or compensation)
    How can I fond out more? Where will this be recorded?

2. I ask for help/ advice because this person is now intimidating staff , 2 older members put on 8 weeks support towards Capability in Spetember , shouting at Staff ,etc, etc At interview the LEA advised nothing adverse we needed to be aware of !

3. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

The LEA will know what's gone on, but will probably not tell you as LEAs often seem to want to support dodgy heads. The governors and some staff members from his previous school will also know what happened, but it's not that likely that you could get any of them to spill the beans. Have you searched for information online about him? You might find something out that way. It is very frustrating that bullying heads are able to move schools and continue their intimidating behaviour. I wonder if any of the unions have been contacted in the past about your head's behaviour? There ought to be an independent body which concerned members of staff can contact about bullying heads.

4. It was from the Union that this info came! I have asked for further details etc and am awaiting these! I was rather hoping someone could point me in the direction of a Search I could make , or a site where I might glaen the required info.

5. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

I know you can get copies ( not sure if an actual transcript though, or how much detail is published ) of Employment Tribunals by contacting the service. As far as I'm aware you have to write to them.There is an actual ( nominal ) charge for this.
    I wish you luck! This individual sounds an absolute nightmare.

6. Which service would this be ? I am still awaiting a respose from the Union. They may already have this info to hand.

7. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Here's the address
    http://biallpr.pbworks.com/w/page/5259170/Employment%20Tribunal%20case.
    In the meantime have a look at the Appeals on the site mentioned. You may find some info there in the interim.

8. Thank you but at the moment it feels like looking for a needle in a haystack -as I am unsure when this occurred , who else was involved etc.

9. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

I can't think of any specific sites which might give you information about a head, but if you want to search online for information use different search engines (eg Google, Yahoo and Bing) and try first searching for the name of the headteacher by itself. If nothing shows up (which it might not if it's a common name), try searching for his name with the word headteacher after it. You could also try searching for his name followed by the name of the school he used to teach at. There may or may not be any information out there, but it's worth a try. It's a good idea to scan through the results of at least the first few pages that appear after you've done a search. Through doing an online search, I was able to discover that a head who'd bullied me out of my job had also subsequently bullied a colleague out of his job. As the colleague was permanent, he had written evidence of how she had treated him, which he'd posted online. When I was bullied out of my job, I was on a fixed-term contract, so there was not a lot I could do, but seeing what happened to my colleague proved to me how vindictive the head is. It would be good if there was a dedicated website where members of school staff who have been bullied out of their jobs could give details of what happened to them.

10. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

I have a subscription to case law search facilities courtesy of my course. If you are happy to trust me with details via a PM I will search for you.

11. Gardening Leaves

Gardening Leaves New commenter

Understandably and sensibly the OP is wary of me. If you are someone who has previously been in touch will me and you are happy to vouch for my integrity to the OP please could you PM her? Many,thanks.

12. Happy to do so.

13. PM sent and for those reading this who too may not 'know' GL, it said: "Just to say that I can assure you that Gardening Leaves is HIGHLY trustworthy and a quite extraordinary person who works tirelessly on these boards to help many others." I went on a bit more but I'm concious that all that 'mountain air' may have already gone to GL's head!!! ;-)

14. Many thanks both to GL and WorkBully - thank you both for your sensitivity - I will be back in touch in the morning once I have spoken to my Union Rep.

15. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Now that is a brilliant idea. Perhaps it ought to have a fancy title like The General Headteaching Council and teachers could refer their bullying heads to it. The cases could be investigated and the outcomes posted on a website, together with any punishment imposed on those found guilty.

16. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Website of the newspaper in the town where he was before is a good start. Likewise, Ofsted report of any previous school.

17. An update - I have had a reply from the Union thus "
    Regarding your question ~ Yes ** was taken to an Industrial Tribunal and lost in an Unfair Dismissal hearing. I do not atm have specific detail about this but will have in due course once I talk to ********************** at the N.U.T. Easter Conference tomorrow. It was *******who was on that particular case. I will contact you this time next week. "

The person referred to as ************* is the redional NUT rep, the message was from my local NUT rep.

18. If you've got a dodgy head I suggest you take two paracetamol and lie down for a while.

19. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

In 10 years of teaching on short term contracts at many different schools, I would say that 99% of the heads I have worked for are dodgy in one way or another. In any organisation, you don't get to the top without being manipulative and/ or a bully in some form. Just an observation I have made over the years.

20. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Complete rubbish.
    If you want to put it in those terms EVERYBODY you meet is dodgy in some way or another.
    You get to the top - in most organisations - by being good at your job and being good at managing people. Accusing everyone in management you meet of being a bully or manipulative says much more about you than it says about them.