1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dodged a bullet

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by blazer, Sep 21, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Got a call at 6.45 this morning for a notorious local school (Made the Nationals a couple of years back, it was so bad). My previous handler knew I wouldn't go there but this had not been passed onto my current one. So regrettably I had to decline their offer of a day's abuse.

2. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

Good lad/lass. Life's too short for these hell holes. Ive just had a chirpy agent sending my CV off to a local sink school. "By all means send it ducky - but I wont be following it!" Tee-hee.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Sadly, other more desperate for the money, will have to accept it.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

That is funny 1cherries.

I absolutely agree life is too short to spend days in the schools you describe.

Blazer is correct..some will go and I did for 10 long years.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

Whilst we're on the subject, just seen an advert for a job I went for last year .Thought it was a proper job - turned out kids walked in and out of lesson *****-nilly; one was lighting up a cig; another had feet up on desk. Turns out the cheeky ******* are now looking for a "Teacher" for -wait for it - £12 an hour!!! Hells bells!
    Some poor sod out there will be earning peanuts for stress levels through the roof; palpitations; night sweats; panic attacks ... d'works.
    Still, I guess every lesson shapes a life.

6. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

1cherries, the pay rate is CS level and not teacher rates, looks like the SLT is out of touch and lacks the ability to manage the school. Whats make me wonder, is how the school is still open, it sounds like it should be closed down.

7. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

The dodgy school in our town is now on it's third name and head in five years!

8. tb506

tb506 New commenter

Haven't been on the TES website for a long time.
    The same happened to me a few weeks ago. I was approached about several weeks of cover (supply) at a local village school. I quickly declined even though right now money is tight due to the national circumstances. The word 'village school' would automatically ring positive for many. It is a small secondary school but I had some of the most atrocious days there not too long ago. I had kids swearing at me and mocking me. Everything I said was a joke, more or less -- I mean, plain outright nastiness and from students were who were from well-off homes. I turned it down because I would rather tighten my belt than clench my jaw for eight hours for weeks on end. I think I dodged a bullet there. The last time I was there, I had senior management humouring these kids right in front of my eyes. No thanks.

9. tb506

tb506 New commenter

Oh yes, another reason is because I knew (from several previous experiences) that before a long term supply comes in, groups are switched and/or pupils are 'added' to the class register I will be taking, which would signal later move-ins or changes. Then, there will be the observation, then more classes added, then the "we need you to cover Mrs Lazy's or Mr Ego's lessons during your frees." No thanks.

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Class size can be a problem on supply, especially if it increases while you are teaching it! Once it becomes known that a supply teacher is covering a class, members of staff try and dump their problem students in your class ("I will just sit x, y & z at the back doing an assessment. They will be no problem." Yeah, right.) A variation on this is the 'composite class', made up of the rejects from several other classes. A good indication of this is when the register you are given bears little resemblance to the students in the room. Yet another dodge played on supply teachers is to have their classes used as an extension of the 'seclusion', or 'removals', room, so you end up with half a dozen hand-bangers.

11. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

tb506 and Jolly_Roger, who on supply as not been dumped with the class, that even the Devil does not want to teach, students with the behavioural manners that would shame a sewer rat. This happens most often in schools, that you have more chance of seeing the next coming of Christ, then the on call.

Sometimes, I have accepted students because I generally go to the same schools and know the kids, but I have refused entry to some, who have claimed they have been sent by the teacher, because

pepper5, colacao17, btml and 2 others like this.
  12. ChrisH77

ChrisH77 New commenter

A variant is the Classroom of Dread.

One of my past regular, but now occasional, schools has a Maths classroom right at the end of the Technology corridor, as far as could be from the Maths dept, subject leader, school office, reception, staffroom, head’s office, or any other source of authority. The students know that, should the supply send a runner for help, they have at least 10 minutes, or likely 15, or maybe forever, until anyone arrives.

With the higher Maths pecking order camped in their citadel, a succession of recruits got M7, lasted 5-7 months before sick with stress, giving their classes a spring/summer of fun with supply/cover, and fresh meat each September.

This has gone on for 4-5 years, including transition from LA to Academy. Can’t imagine what it’s like with Covid in the mix.

13. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

When I was new to teaching and looking for a permanent job, I was offered a year's 0.5 supply work at a school.

Once I started, it became clear that I'd been given the worst class in every yeargroup. Never the smaller, bottom class. Always one just above it with all the headbangers in it. I can just imagine the HoD saying asking his staff which classe they wanted to offload.

You can very quickly and accurately assess a department (or a HoD) bu the allocation of classes.

14. tb506

tb506 New commenter

I remember when I taught Humanities as a full-time teacher, the HOD would also cherry-pick although she couldn't control the kids she took. I was always left with bottom sets and maybe the one higher set that she wanted to be rid of the year before. Whenever a disruptive kid joined the school (one who'd been thrown out of every other area school), guess who'd get them. Whenever I did long term, I noticed a pattern that would quickly develop = begin taking a form, then told to do cover during frees, then feeling ostracised after reminding cover supervisor and line managers about the arrangement and terms I agreed to, then class reshuffles, then, then me heading for the door.

15. Durness24

Durness24 New commenter

I wish I could have been a bit braver about saying no to some supply agencies over some of the schools I've been in in the Greater Manchester area but when you are just starting out in your career/need the money/fear they won't call you again, you agree to go to some eye-popping places. I don't regret going to them as I've got some stories for the staff room now.