1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Documents which outline expectations

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mrGundam, Dec 20, 2018.

1. mrGundam

mrGundam New commenter

Morning all,

I am trying to ensure I have all the documents I should have from my current academy employer.

Can anyone tell me what is the name given to the document, if there even is one, whereby my employer outlines expected hours of work, expectations of duties, cover etc.

There are lots of documents on the intranet regarding safeguarding, progression and various other policies but non that state for instance start and finish times, expectations for parents evenings, duties, after school training etc.

Just wanted to know correct term usually given to this before I ask.

Thanks

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

hours of work/meetings etc is usually referred to as directed time budget or similar.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Contract of Employment and Job Description?

Not everything you mention will appear in a personal document for you. Requirement to attend parents' evening, for example, will usually be in some general document and will vary from year to year.

An academy, but even so if employed on STPCD conditions then STPCD is incorporated in your contract of employment.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Contract of Employment
    Job Description
    All Current Policies
    Assessment Calendar
    Meetings Calendar
    Training Calendar
    Your Teaching Timetable :cool:

5. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

As it's an academy, they're not obliged to provide you with directed time statements.

When they sent you job offer, they may well have sent you a written statement of terms and conditions which probably won't include all of the details you're asking for, but should certainly see the following (from http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3970):
    • name of employer and employer
    • date employment and continuous employment started
    • job location
    • pay and whether it's weekly, monthly pay etc
    • working hours
    • holiday entitlement
    • job description/job title
    • details of any collective agreements that directly affect the employee's conditions of employment.
    It sounds a little like you want to be able to point to these documents to prove a point of some kind. Do bear in mind that you will need to take a pragmatic approach to this, and that many of the 'rights' you might see mentioned in threads here won't be relevant in an academy.

So.
    • Whatever the working hours are, you need to respond to reasonable expectations. It's reasonable, for example, to expect you to attend parents' evenings to meet parents of students you teach - you won't win any moral or legal argument otherwise!
    • Working hours being defined does not mean that workload has to be defined by the statement.
    • Duties and cover would come within these working hours and don't require any other explicit mention.
    • After-school training is a tricky one: it may well go beyond your working hours, but of course, if you argue too much then SLT will just make the working day go later *every* day...
    Sometimes the expectations can feel unreasonable, but often it's to do with timing rather than the fact. Are there too many parents' evenings this month? Too much cover this term or in one particular week? Too many duties this year?

If you try and persuade SLT to change the structure, you will probably fail, but if you bring up a particularly difficult week, before it happens, and propose a solution, they may be able to help you.

FCF

JohnJCazorla and install like this.
  6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Are you in a union, if the rep exists in your school then s/he should know where all this is in various policies on the intranet.

Or if you're the rep (or there isn't one) then just ask HR? I regard HR as highly incompetent but they should be able to point out the location of the policies they issue, follow and maintain on the intranet.

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Why not just ask HR about the points you mention? You don't need to give them all names.