1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Document legalisation...warning!!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by sebe, May 28, 2009.

1. Just thought I would update anyone who is getting documents legalised at FCO in Milton Keynes. I was told today that notarised phtocopies of marriage and birth certificates are not accepted, only original documents, something which the notary I went to failed to tell me as I handed over the £40. My degree certificate copy was fine but not the others. Apparently all solicitors should know this now so they are being very naughty not telling people.
    Also for what it is worth, if you submit a postal application do not expect to hear back for about 3 - 4 weeks as they are running 3 weeks behind at the moment.
    Hope that is of some help. I know only too well what a stressful process the whole document attestation is. Hopingg I will have it al sorted in the next week so I can relax a bit!

2. Just thought I would update anyone who is getting documents legalised at FCO in Milton Keynes. I was told today that notarised phtocopies of marriage and birth certificates are not accepted, only original documents, something which the notary I went to failed to tell me as I handed over the £40. My degree certificate copy was fine but not the others. Apparently all solicitors should know this now so they are being very naughty not telling people.
    Also for what it is worth, if you submit a postal application do not expect to hear back for about 3 - 4 weeks as they are running 3 weeks behind at the moment.
    Hope that is of some help. I know only too well what a stressful process the whole document attestation is. Hopingg I will have it al sorted in the next week so I can relax a bit!

3. lostintheworld

lostintheworld New commenter

I have also sent my documents last week, there was a problem with one of my documents but it seems fine now.

Are we talking about jobs in saudi here?

4. No UAE

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

The legalisation process for the UAE is even more complicated if you are teaching in Doha, thanks to a new Qatari law which says that all documents must be authenticated in their country of origin. This means that you cannot just take them along to the British Embassy in Doha. No, you must send them to the FCO in Milton Keynes. My FedEx bill was huge! If you are posting original documents to the FCO, then I would definitely recommend FedEx or DHL, rather than relying on the postal service.
    As for the CRB, that is quite impossible for me because I do not live in the UK. However, my new school (RAKESS) has said that something called a police clearance certificate from the cops here in Doha will be sufficient.
    Why is the UAE so fussy? It is a new thing? There wasn't the same nonsense when I applied for a job in Qatar.

6. Too many mupets making money out of this.
    What you should do is get certificated copies not photocopies of marriage and birth certificates if you are from the UK from http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Only these are accepted as copies and nothing else.
    As for degrees, ask you University if you had your degree from University of London then contact the transcripts department at transcripts@lon.ac.uk. you will need to photocopy your degree on white A4 paper and send it to them with the forms and fees £15 so that they can verify it and stamp it.
    Once done take them to the FCO in Milton Keynes £28 each certificate or post it, better to take them you get it done there and then.
    The last step is to take it to the relevent mission of the country you are going to. If its UAE then £30 for fast track same day service or £20 for 3 days service.
    Total average cost all this will be £500 if you do most of the leg work youself, if not they will charge £200 or so extra!

7. I've just commenced the process myself and what a nightmare! I'm in Shanghai and need mine doing to be in AD for July so have instructed the services of a solicitor in my home town. I'm payng a totally inclusive fee of £520.00 for the notary; the fco; the uae embassy including the agent to do the leg work for me. Luckily my uni from donkeys years provided my BA transcript FOC!! I only hope it is all worth it!!

As for CRB - I know I will need another one but I'm continuing my employment with NA so presumably I get a Chinese police check?? Anyone know?

8. you need a police check from the are where you are working at present. should not be too difficult well i think!

9. the hippo

I am currently teaching at a school in Doha and in August I am going to the Garden Implement school in Ras Al Khaimah, so maybe the rules are a bit different in Dubai or in Abu Dhabi. Maybe this might explain why so far I have heard absolutely nothing about the need for transcripts, apart from on this forum.
    So far my new school has said absolutely nothing about transcripts. When I went to the British Embassy here in Doha, to get my degree and my teaching certificates attested, they said nothing about transcripts. When I went to the UAE Embassy here in Doha, they said that my certificates had to be stamped by the Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs, but they did not say anything at all about transcripts. When I e-mailed the FCO in the UK about legalisation, they said that they would be able to legalise my teaching certificate, my degree and my marriage certificate, but they said nothing at all about the need for transcripts. Am I missing something here?
    Transcripts are copies of exam papers, aren't they? I did my Finals back in 1982. Is it really likely that my university would keep my exam papers for such a long time? Somehow I doubt it.
    For anyone else who needs to get a Police Clearance certificate here in Doha, it's fairly straightfoward. Take a letter from your sponsor (the school), two photos, some photocopies of your passport (visa, arrival stamp and the last page) and 10 QR to the Police Fingerprint place on the Salwa Road. Fill in the form, hand it in and wait ten days. I am supposed to be getting my completed certificate tomorrow, inshallah.

10. A transcript is a break down of your dgree, it is a requirement in the UAE

11. the hippo

<font size="3">College/University Degree Diploma(s)</font><font size="3">Teaching Certificate</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">The above must be:</font> <ol style="margin-top:0cm;"><li class="MsoNormal" style="margin:0cm 0cm 0pt;tab-stops:list 36.0pt;"><font size="3">Seen by a solicitor &ndash; he will stamp the back of the originals and the front of the photocopies.</font></ol><font size="3">Sent to the Foreign Office/Legalisation office with a covering letter stating your name, address, contact telephone numbers and the fact you are going to teach in the UAE and that you need the documents attested. Only the photocopies need attesting at this stage and the next. In the envelope include the originals and photocopies, already seen by the solicitor.</font>

12. the hippo

Well, if it is boring, I suggest that you go and read something else instead.
    I have now received my Police Clearance certificate, but now I have to get it stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It never ends!

13. Ah - memories of Doha red tape. How many visits did it take before you got got your Qatari Driver's Licence, Hippo? The fifth time I went there I got a 'facilitator' hanging around outside to trobleshoot for me and I got it after having photos retaken because they weren't the same as my passport - can't remember glasses or no glasses!!!! When my car was vandalised, I was sent to three different places who all told me different things to do and bring and eventually I just gave up
    I can't believe it but the UAE sounds even worse!!! Are you sure about going there????????????

14. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

I think the ease of getting things done in the middle east has a lot to do with your employer. I was lucky that I had an employer in Abu Dhabi who employed a man to take me to get a driving license, internet connection, mobile phone and a few other things.

My new employer in Doha apparently does the same. They employ somebody to do all of the hard work so all I do is follow them around and sign the forms. I gather not all employers in Qatar do this.

15. the hippo

Well, some schools have good HR people and some don't, it's true, but there is always a certain amount of legwork that you have to do yourself. There are also delays, frustrations and paradoxes that even the best HR people in the world cannot sort out.

16. tyler durden

tyler durden New commenter

Am I missing something here?

I got my Certificates certified by a solicitor - &pound;10
    Asked the FCO the cost to get them legalised - &pound;56 (for two)
    Just spoke to the Qatari Embassy- they quote me &pound;4 per document. -&pound;8

Plus postage costs - &pound;10

Total &pound;84

How on Earth is anyone paying &pound;500+ to have this done???

17. Had mine notarised &pound;50 each, FCO &pound;28 each, UAE attested &pound;30 each.
    6 documents in total.
    Total &pound;544

18. tyler durden

Ah- I suppose if you're getting 6 done that would explain it. Are you sure they had to be notarised???

19. got all of them done, just in case. You never know they may ask for it on the other end and if its not done then you got a problem.

20. tyler durden

Just out of interest which docs are you getting legalised???

I was told by my new principal to get my degree and PGCE done.
    What other documents do you need legalised?
    I've got a copy of my marriage certificate from the local register office- I think that's ok.

Anything else I might need? I'm sure could dig out my cycling proficiency and 25m swimming certificates at a push [​IMG]