1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doctor's note - binding?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by dragonfly1984, Mar 14, 2012.

1. dragonfly1984

dragonfly1984 New commenter

Hi all,
    I have been issued with a sick note due to anxiety/stress/depression but the thought of being off work is making me all the more anxious.
    Am I legally obliged to declare and hand over the sick note? I know that I would have to be declared "fit for work" if I used the note in the first instance, but can I just ignore it?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. dragonfly1984

dragonfly1984 New commenter

Hi all,
    I have been issued with a sick note due to anxiety/stress/depression but the thought of being off work is making me all the more anxious.
    Am I legally obliged to declare and hand over the sick note? I know that I would have to be declared "fit for work" if I used the note in the first instance, but can I just ignore it?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Tricky one.
    If you use it you must get a for for work note to go back.
    If you don't use it, and something happens and you need GP you could be in a spot of bother. If you need time off take it. The school won't burn down because you're not there and the doctor won't have issued a note unless you need it or he/she is a crap GP.

4. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

They are fit notes rather than sick notes. How exactly is it worded? I believe they say whether you need to go back again. If anything goes wrong you won't be covered by insurance. I don't think it is a good idea to ignore their advice and they gave it to you for a reason. School will carry on and the time offf now could prevent a longer time off later.

5. Hi I have had a number of fit notes for this. Each time they have stated that I am not fit to work and a period of time is set. There is then a box that they must tick if they want to see you before you return to work. If this is not ticked then you do not need to return to your GP once the period of time has lapsed.