1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who to skip Christmas Day for first time in 13 years

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Nov 15, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't watch it these days anyway.

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I stopped watching it 50 years ago! Now I just regard it as something which takes up broadcasting time which the BBC could use to better effect.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

OK, so if notDr Who, what would our choices for Christmas films be?

For me, something gentle and Christmassy in the morning while opening presents - It's a wonderful life or some version of a Christmas Carol.

A family film for the post Queen's speech slot. My current fave is Coco but that might be mixing the fiestas too much and anyway, Christmas without loved ones is hard enough without those final scenes of Coco. Maybe Boxing Day for that one.

Something unchallenging for the early evening shift. Not sure about this one but will give it some more thought.

Something maybe a bit darker for the evening. Along the lines of that wonderful "What we did in our holidays" a year or two back.

5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I quite like Dr Who but I never get to see the Christmas episode live, and it's usually quite silly anyway.

6. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Good, its carp, and the new doc is really irritating. Bring back Tom Baker (or have that impressionist bloke doing him). And Captain Jack ...

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I still do not think you can beat Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' as it seems to capture the whole atmosphere of Christmas for me.

nomad and sparkleghirl like this.
  8. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Wiil the doctor be on out of this world calls?

colpee likes this.
  9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Muppets Christmas Carol - A true Classic

Norsemaid, les25paul, nomad and 2 others like this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

It used to be a tradition to screen 'The Great Escape' every Christmas afternoon. I always watched it in the hope that Steve McQueen would eventually get over the wire on his motorbike (actually a British-built Triumph TR6 Trophy.)

11. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It's surprisingly good and true to the book, despite being acted by strange looking puppets.

coffeekid and nomad like this.
  12. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Our Christmas film is Trading Places, with Eddie Murphy.
    My daughter, who is 9, likes to watch Home Alone. Classic.

sparkleghirl and lanokia like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Since Dr Who is a time traveler, how can we be certain he won't visit 25 December 2018 at some point in time?

les25paul, colpee and magic surf bus like this.
  14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Reminds me of the joke:
    "Do you like Dickens?"
    "Don't know, I've never been to one!"

15. magic surf bus

"Do you like Kipling?"
    "I don't know, I've never Kipled"

sparkleghirl likes this.
  16. magic surf bus

For me, any of the Toy Story movies, which I like a lot anyway, regardless of the season.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Die Hard

nixmith likes this.
  18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I’ll be watching Doctor Who whenever they air it. I quite like Jodie in the role, she’s doing great. I also like her little gang of unlikely companions and the range of social, historical & political situations they’ve been encountering. Many children may be learning who Rosa Parks was or what the Partition of India was for the first time and all in an entertaining, relatable way.

It’s a 21st century, more inclusive take on Doctor Who, a Doctor for a more ethnically diverse and equality minded generation. It’s always been a show that’s pushed boundaries and tried to be a bit different so good for them experimenting with new directions. I giggled as first female Doctor and her down to earth northern mates helped a bloke give birth while simultaneously chasing down a world destroying, deceptively cute, miniature alien...:D what’s not to love.

Doctor Who will live on forever! :cool:

19. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Nomad - totally agree! I stopped watching it because it was so hard to understand!

nomad likes this.
  20. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

The generation watching it are not the same generation who produce it. They get what they're given.

Oscillatingass likes this.