1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doctor Who: The BBC believes 'teaser' is a synonym for 'bore'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

I am singularly unexcited at the prospect of the next series:

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Why is that then? You don’t have to watch it.

TCSC47 and madman_with_a_box like this.
  3. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

I thought people stopped watching Dr Who sometime around puberty

4. Vince_Ulam

For the same reason people visit Classical ruins.

nomad likes this.
  5. vannie

vannie Star commenter

The little girls in my class (year 3) are all thrilled and looking forward to it. Go figure.

TCSC47 and madman_with_a_box like this.
  6. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I'm not an avid viewer like my husband but I will be watching the first episode with the new Doctor. I wish Capt Jack Harkness would come back. And K9.

madman_with_a_box, 576 and Laphroig like this.
  7. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

It has not been watchable since David Tennant.

Fierygirl likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Actually, it has been utter rubbish since The Doctor was played by Patrick Troughton.

William Hartnell was still the best.

9. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

It's funny how we all have our favourite Doctors. I would have said it's not been watchable since Sylvester McCoy but I have enjoyed some of the episode of the newer incarnations. I much prefer when the episodes are truly stand-alone and don't have some bigger mystery to confuse you.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

McCoy was always under-rated...

And agreed on the ''bigger mystery'' point... Moffat wound himself into knots trying to untangle the crack in time, the silence, the question blehblehbleh...

As for the teaser on the OP... well I stopped watching half way through Matt Smith [sorry a bit after puberty] and nothing there interested me enough to entice me back.

11. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

I think we all have our favourite Doctors because we prefer the one that was around when we were growing up; mine is certainly Tom Baker and I think it went downhill with Sylvester McCoy (not his fault, it is well documented that the BBC wanted to get rid of the show). Most of the Doctors since the return have been pretty good - I think it’s a shame that Christopher Ecclestone only did one series - but I wasn’t keen on Matt Smith. The storylines have definitely become more adult and I miss the days of cliffhangers at he end of each episode.

The trailer doesn’t enthuse me about the new series. The jury will be out longer with this seriesthan previous ones because it’s the first female Doctor.

12. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

It all comes down to the scripts. I was no fan of Colin Baker, Matt Smith or Peter Capaldi, but even they had occasional episodes that worked well. Pertwee and Baker had a better 'batting average' of good episodes because they still had the likes of Terry Nation and Terrence ***** writing for them.

My biggest complaint about the trailer above is that the Doctor seems to be recruiting the cast of Blue Peter. And the more they make the show about the companions, the less interesting I find it,

madman_with_a_box and BetterNow like this.
  13. Vince_Ulam

They'll learn.

14. Vince_Ulam

Moffat's constant trailing of mysteries was all a ruse to keep people watching until he could get the next season's budget approved. When it became apparent that these trails led nowhere it became threadbare quickly. Doctor Who works best as a serial.

15. Vince_Ulam

He takes his writing cues from Damien Lindelof but doesn't execute them as well, which is saying something:

It's a running problem throughout all of Moffat's work. This documentary, long but punchy, shows this and highlights his other failings via Sherlock, Jekyll & Doctor Who:

It's well worth a watch. It seems that Moffat shows are family projects.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Good up to Tom Baker, pretty rubbish after (although I was a kid so was looking through a perception filter). New series not bad, but Eccleston way over the top. Stories just got stupid after Tennant. Amy Pond rubbish got incomprehensible, then worse after with Clara. River Song was annoying. The baddies are not very good these days, and sorting everything out in one episode is too predictable. Cybermen were cool when they first brought them back, then went silly. Some aliens should have been forgotten about, like Ice Warriors, and Ood. John Simm was brilliantly over the top as the master.

cassandramark2 likes this.
  17. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

About the same time they stopped pony club and tennis.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye I've watched that one... I never got Sherlock like everyone else... I liked the performances but the storytelling was always off whack to me.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Agreed. The Van Gogh episode was beautiful.

PGCE_tutor, mandala1 and vannie like this.
  20. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

I liked the earlier ones but, again, it got a bit silly. There's too much "...and he woke up and it was all a dream. The End." about some of the mysteries.