1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doctor in the House?

Discussion in 'Science' started by DrHypnotic, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Does anyone here know of teachers from a medical background?
    I am interested because I am a hospital doctor considering a future career change and would be interested in hearing how others have fitted in and what they have thought of the two careers compared to each other (yes, I know the pay is worse!)
    What sort of hours are most science teachers putting in and how much of your holidays are you working? Does that figure improve as you get more experienced? Are most of you still enjoying your job 10yrs or more into it?
    As a quick aside, I am interested in bringing the applied science (covering many physical, chemical and biological processes) that I do everyday to the classroom as a series of presentations. I already teach on some medical courses and have CRB clearance.
    It strikes me I might be able to get classroom experience at the same time towards any future PGCE application. Would there be any serious flaws towards me approaching schools on this basis?

2. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

I assume as a hospital doctor, you have plenty of freedom in how you do things. As a trainee and NQT, you are frequently expected to teach in a very prescribed way using current educational theories. It is very pupil led, and standing at the front talking for more than a few minutes is frowned upon (unless you get into sixth form, where you have to do more talking because of the nature of the course).

Getting into a school would be a great way of seeing if it is for you, but remember that an engaging lesson from a head of department with a top set is probably not representative of the work you will have for quite a while. Also, Year 7 sets are lovely and enthusiastic, and then they undergo a 'Keven the teenager' transformation over the summer, so may also not represent the bulk of teaching.

I work long hours during term time, but expect to with the long holidays, a great deal of which are not spent working.

Enjoyment of the job seems to go a lot with the school. Everyone at my present place seems to be happy, while one of the schools I trained in was full of teachers looking for jobs elsewhere.

3. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

That didn't seem to be the case when I was resident in hospital. Standard procedures much of the time.
    Working hours in school are probably shorter than many doctor's working hours in hospital. However, plenty of stuff to take home with you.
    Keep talking to people, visit schools and observe for yourself what it's like.
    P