1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Doas this sound like a milk allergy?

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by Piccola, May 3, 2011.

1. Thanks fr your replies ladies. I had thought about thesoya milk, but was wondering if it was better to go straight for the prescription milk? I just don't want to have to change her milk a fourth time if the soya doesn't agree with her either. Will see what the doctor and HV say.
    Thanks again!

2. Yes it definately does sound like a milk intolerance. My daughter has one. From my experience, I would go to GP, as for a stool sample to be tested for Milk/lactose intolerance before you swap milk. Ask the GP to prescribe one, we went onto Cow and Gate Infasoy (shes now just come off it at 2yrs old) and ask for a paedatrician referral. I would go to GP and not HV as my HV didn't have a clue really.

3. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Before trying soya milk it may be useful to seek out a milk without DHA/ARA. I think now all the standard UK formulas now have this ingredient which is a shame. Hipp Organic was the last one to put this ingredient in formula. It isn't widely known that some babies don't tolerate this ingredient very well but the manufacturers and nobody else are not telling parents about it.

I think Holle Organic does not contain DHA/ARA (also called a load of other things like LCPs, neucleotides/oligosaccarides, prebiotics on the labels of the usual suspects). Using a formula without DHA/ARA for one day may give you a better idea of your baby is allergic or intolerant to cow's milk or not. Here is a site I found which sells Holle in the UK http://www.ulula.co.uk/shop/baby-food-item.php?ProductID=500&CatID=113

I say to try this before soy milk because some babies are also allergic to soy and it also has other problems connected to it which may not show up until later in life.

Another which has probably already been mentioned to you but you haven't noted in your posts is to try to keep your baby as upright as possible for the first half hr to hour after feeding. Have anyone also suggested maybe giving smaller more frequent feeds? Once a baby starts to turn away from the bottle, stop the feeding, ie to try to get her to finish a bottle because the carton says to do that, then to start the next feed when she cues for hunger not when you think she ought to feed next again?
    Hope my suggestions doesn't make things more confusing as we can feel information overload in situations like this.

4. If you're referring to the isoflavone/phyto-oestrogren issue, the jury is well and truly still out on that. A significant percentage of babies worldwide are fed soya formula (over 30% in Israel for example) - I think if there were major health implications they would have become fairly clear by now. An independent panel in the US has recently evaluated soya formula as being of minimal concern [​IMG]

5. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

No, I wasn't referring specifically to that issue. There is also concerns about thyroid function. I don't really want to discuss those concerns here as it is someone else's thread unless the OP doesn't mind discussing them here. Plus I don't feel like I am knowledgeable enough to go into them in any depth. I'd just like to signpost things for a mum to do her own further research to make an informed decision. I know that these things are very emotive and being in the throes of making these decisions is hard enough.

6. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

And I meant to add to make it clearer that, before going to a completely different formula (soya) it may be worth seeing if eliminating 1 ingredient from standard cow's milk formula would work. This way as the child grows older we'd have a better idea if they needed to avoid all dairy which can be a pain to do. (speaking as a mum with of a child with egg allergy and cow's milk protein allergy, confirmed by RAST test.)

7. Once again, thanks for your replies. I couldn't get through to the HV yesterday but did manage to see the doctor - who was useless! He couldn't be bothered listening to me and just handed me a prescription for Wysoy, which I had to order from the pharmacy as they don't stock it. When I went online to read about Wysoy I was quite shocked with what I read and now I'm a bit scared and confused [​IMG] I really don't want to feed my baby this.
    The HV is really good and the baby clinic is on today so I wil go and speak to her, but obviously she isn't able to prescrible or order tests. I'm really dissapointed with the doctor. We have just moved to this area and this health centre is the only one. There are other doctors practices within this centre, maybe I should just change to one of them.
    My husband isn't keen for us to change to a non cow's milk without a clear confirmation that it is an allergy as he thinks it will lead to problems with her consuming dairy when she's older if she's never eaten it before. (If in fact she doesn't have an allergy). Could it just be the brand of milk? Should I try one of the comfort milks first? I don't want to diagnose my baby with an allergy purely with what I've read, I'm very confused!

8. Could your HV refer you to a paediatrician? They're likely to be more clued up than a GP.

9. I would get back to you GP and demand a referrral, or try a different GP. He can prescribe other milks other than Soy. Neocate is one of them...

10. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Just wanted to say that I have read your post and will respond later as off on the school run.

11. undiwear

undiwear New commenter

Going back to your original post, all these things are common in small babies except that the constant pooing may be of concern.
    Because you have not mentioned weight gain, does that mean that her weight gain is satisfactory / good?
    The reason I mentioned the possibility of DHA/ARA intolerance earlier is because this is one of the things that it seems to do to babies if they are intolerant to it. They poo a lot. One of the boasted properties (by the formula companies) behind adding DHA to formula is that is makes a formula fed baby's poo resemble a breastfed baby's one. But for some babies, it makes them poo too much as you are finding. DHA is harvested from a (farmed) sea algae which in order to extract it, hexane (a hydocarbon ie petrol derivative) is used. Why some babies are intolerant to it is not yet understood as far as I know but it is widely added to a lot of foods as prebiotics. Think of the Activia adverts here. The research behind it is not transparent at all.

With the screaming during feeds, could it be the flow from the nipple? I suppose you are using the slowest flow but sometimes it is still too much for a small baby and they need a break. I haven't much experience with bottles but I and a friend who formula fed used MAM Ulitvent teats and bottles which she found worked really well as her daughter was tongue tied (undiagnosed at the time) and these were what she got on best with. I also gave some teats to a friend whose tiny newborn twin was not handling normal teats and he got on well with it. You can find them at Boots and Mothercare the last time I looked a long time ago. BTW the Ultivent teats fit Avent bottles so you don't have to buy the whole kit straight off the bat.

As I have said earlier try to keep her upright as much as possible, a wrap sling or a mei tai would really help to do that and if you'd like to know more about those, just ask.

I am afraid that as long as the baby's weight gain is within a normal range, the doctors won't be too concerned. Getting a referral to a paed will likely take a few weeks at least and GPs, in my experience and anecdotally, can be very reluctant to do so. Your best bet for now may be to phone and ask to see a different GP and have your DH accompany you. Sorry to say that in this sexist world they may respond better to your requests that way. I don't know whether GPs would put a baby on Nutramigen or Neocate without evidence of milk allergy (and here the weight gain issue could be a determinant for yay or nay) or if a non-DHA/ARA dairy formula like Holle is available on prescription or you'd have to pay for it out of pocket if it works for your baby.
    There is another formula from Europe called Babynat which I believe doesn't contain DHA and available from a company called Goodness Direct. I used this for a while with my first when I went back to work but that was six yrs ago.

The main difference between Comfort milk, Hungry Baby milks and First milks is the different concentrations of milk protein in them. First milk is a whey(protein) dominant milk and Comfort milk is a casien (protein) dominant milk. Whey protein is more easily digested for babies and casein because it harder to digest, fills a baby up longer. Breastmilk for example is whey dominant. Whey is a by product of cheese making so it is the casien protein that is found in cheese.
    There are pros and cons to trying a Comfort milk. For example, it may make her poo consistency change but it may also make her feel more bloated. You really wouldn't know what would happen till you tried it.
    I hope this is helpful and sorry for writing an epistle.

12. Thanks again for your replies. Spoke to the HV, she was horrified that the Dr prescribed Wysoy - she said it wasn't recommended for babies under 6 months. She went and spoke to him and got him to change the presription to Nutamigen, however, when I went to pick it up he had once again precribed the wrong thing! Nutramigen 2 instead of 1, spoke to HV again and she went straight to the pharmacist to get it changed. Have now changed to a different Dr and the HV has refered us to the dietician. Have been using the Nutramigen since Thursday night, she takes it okay with some vanilla essence added to it. Today we have had constant bowel movements which has caused a horrible nappy rash [​IMG] I can't say that i've seen much of a change in her yet, but I understand that I need to give it around 2 weeks - fingers crossed!

13. Trudy

Trudy New commenter

Sorry you have been so messed about by the doctor, glad you have changed! Hope baby settles on the new milk, let us know how you get on. [​IMG]

14. Sounds like a total nightmare.
    It does take approximately 2-4weeks for a clinical improvement, sorry. Most dieticans say to do a 4-6wks elimination diet...
    Are you exclusively giving formula? If you a doing a mixture you need to take out all dairy from your diet as it does go through breastmilk too.
    Slap onloads of Bepathen tonight after the bath and it should clear up nicely tonight. We're having issues with food and giving sore bottom :(