1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do youth subcultures still exist

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tom-57, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. tom-57

tom-57 New commenter

hi
    I read an interesting quote today from the editor and chief photographer of FRUiTS Magazine (Shoichi Aoki). who said on the demise of the aforementioned magazine "there are no more cool kids left to photograph."

is this true, do youth subcultures still exist ?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes on Tumblr*.

Which is why no-one sees them anymore.

* and other social media.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

As long as there are old disapproving fuddy-duddies to call them such, youth subcultures will always exist, largely without members of said subculture knowing anything about it.

5. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Not in a meaningful way. Minority interests might be more accurate.

Unless someone wants to name a few.

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What is this "cool kid" thing of which you speak?

In my mind they are legion!

1122.jpg

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Sadly yes.

Most of them ovine in the extreme.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Is gang membership a subculture? How about the bearded nouveau hippies? Or the skinny jeaned polo shirt wearing boys with quiffs? The nerds? The geeks? The trout pouted selfie obsessed young (and old) folk? The tattooed or inked among us?

*my terminology to try to describe them (badly).

Nope your right it's all pretty much mainstream attempting individualism now. Perhaps that is because the formerly rare or unusual in lifestyle, attitude or opinions are now widely acceptable. It could be seen as a positive with negative consequences to individualism... but we know for every positive at some point there follows a negative so we shouldn't be surprised.

Perhaps the question should be... if youth subculture has become mainstream, where is individualty? Or are we truly a united collective community of like minded groups all simply seeking to "belong".

There's a sociology research paper in the making right there, or it's just an introspective first world belly button gazing indulgence.

9. grumpydogwoman

That's exactly what it is.

needabreak and TCSC47 like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I love these descriptions...

11. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

A quick google of Shoichi Aoki and I am still not really any wiser as to who he is or what qualifications he has to determine what is "cool" or what is not. He is just a photographer who has taken a lot of pictures.

Define "cool", please.

vannie, wanet and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

streetmag.w710.h473.2x.jpg

This is what "cool" looks like according to FRUiTS.

The less of that there is then the better it is.

1. not practical colours - need too much washing
    2. get caught in the door of the bus/tram as you get off - nasty!
    3. that skirt'll trip you up
    4. you might fall off your platforms
    5. middle girl can't actually see through those specs
    6. there won't be enough clothes left in the charity shops for people who really need them

TCSC47 likes this.
  13. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

They will grow into them!

TCSC47 and needabreak like this.
  14. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The more I think about Shoichi Aokiand and people like him, the more annoyed I get. Is he supplying a service to kids with his magazines (I haven't looked at any I must admit) or is he merely making money out of them by foistering commercially exploitable fashion upon them?

Back in the 50's I grew up in Canada and upon returning to England I was relieved to see the lack of child fashion exploitation demanding children conform to certain fashion fads. Here in the UK as a teenager we wore what we wanted --- umm -- school uniform shorts, blazer, cap (yes I know!) or jeans and T shirt out of school, and it was a blessed relief to escape the "fashion" conscious children of North America. However, and very sadly, I witnessed society in the UK to change during the 60's as North American culture seeped over here, like a leak in a dodgy U bend, and children being encouraged to be "cool" if we want to use that term. Of course it was all adult driven to fleece the new market of the baby boomer children who had access to a lot more money than their parents had as children.

In my opinion people like Shoichi Aoki are parasites on society. It is a bit much to say they belong in the same box as The Donald but in my mind, not far off!

15. tom-57

tom-57 New commenter

FRUiTS Magazine simply existed to chronicle Japanese street fashion as it happened. it didn't try to influence it or for that matter make it or change it.

"cool" in this context means, a self determined look.

16. grumpydogwoman

Hmmm. I've looked him up. He's 62. Like me.

All the cover photos are of girls. Young girls.

That's all I'm saying.

fruits-september-2016jpg.jpg

17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

The Internet seems to be full of pictures of "cool kids". It seems likely that the magazine has folded because the kids are finding them online rather than because there are no photos available.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  18. grumpydogwoman

Good point @bombaysapphire

I last bought a magazine a million years ago and I'm 62. Who the hell still buys magazines???

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Just asking that makes you uncool...

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Erm... me.

I buy about 6 a month.

Are they passe?