1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

do your year 11s finish school early?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Hettys, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

I did a similar post recently but it's disappeared. i am panicking; my daughter finishes on 24th June this year. She is in a MLD secondary special school. She is not independent so i will have to stop working. What is the thinking behind letting year 11s in a special school finish early when the vast majority will not be taking any public exams? Do any of you do this too? Or is my daughter's school the exception rather than the rule?

2. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

I did a similar post recently but it's disappeared. i am panicking; my daughter finishes on 24th June this year. She is in a MLD secondary special school. She is not independent so i will have to stop working. What is the thinking behind letting year 11s in a special school finish early when the vast majority will not be taking any public exams? Do any of you do this too? Or is my daughter's school the exception rather than the rule?

3. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Legally, that's not finishing early. The last Friday in June of the year when age 16 is attained is the official date for leaving school.

4. Riv

Riv New commenter

Our special school year 11's are in class and taught up until the last day of the school term. However; Marcuss is correct, pupils who are 16 before 31st of August in any year officially end their compulsory schooling on the last Friday in June of that year. Many schools do keep the pupils on until the end of term. Those going on to 6th Form in the same school are still considered to be school leavers as 6th Form is post 16, non compulsory education.

5. Hettys

Hettys New commenter

OK so legally it's not but if the 16 year olds are not capable of being left home alone, can't get part time work or even go out with friends unsupported what are they and their parents supposed to do for those 4 weeks. where is the sense, surely continuing their education, life skills etc makes far more sense than leaving them to languish for 10 weeks and potentially causing parents to lose jobs into the bargain?