1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do your SEN pupils listen to your maths input then do a different activity?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by gsm1380, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Hi. I am in Y4 nad have a statemented child working at about Y1/2 level. I'm wondering what is right in terms of Ofsted as we are expecting them in soon. This is an example, the lesson is on fractions, I do my whole class input talking about comparing fractions and which ones are bigger and how to work this out, the SEN child is with the TA listening to this input. The children then go and do a related activity but due to the abilities of this child, he is going to work on colouring in halves and quarters of shapes and stick them in his book, so not really the same objective as comparing which is bigger.

What I would like to know is should the statemented child be a part of the main teaching input, or should I just let him and the TA get started from the beginning of the lesson and I will come and check on progress after the input? My TA is very happy with just getting started and not doing the input because "it's way above his level, he doesn't listen" etc,?

Very interested to hear your views, many thanks.

2. If your input is not relevant to him, then I think its fine for your TA to take him and do a similar teach/practice/apply type lesson individually with him. Is your TA solely for that child? If she is, fine - highlight on your planning that this will be happening, and make a seperate planning sheet for her for your observations. If she is general classroom support - are there any other children at a similar low ability level that she could also take?

3. Just to add - We have been told that it is no longer acceptable for a TA to be sitting watching a teacher input, and that the main teaching session should be differentiated into groups with a TA taking a group to further differentiate the objective. My TA this year didnt have the skills to be able to do this (Im being polite..) but my TA next year does, and therefore almost all of my Num/Phonics and some of my Lit lessons will be split with her having either my LA or my HA children from the start of the lesson. We've been told this is all perfectly acceptable, as long as you are directing your TA and can show planning etc for this group.

4. Thank you for your response, very helpful.

Yes my TA is just for that child, I'm glad that it's ok for her to take him at the start of the lessons as I was really finding it hard to get a balance during my main teaching input.

5. I had a similar dilema recently and was advised by an ex oftsed inspector that the TA taking the child out to do a lesson seperately was acceptable and a good idea. However she advised me to think carefully about adaptions I would need to make to planning that would support my TA in reaching a level of teaching that was inline with mine. This is more crictical if taking the child out for the whole lesson is not a normal occurence. When I asked her to explain more what she was implying she said many inspectors make a judgement on the teacher that is influences by the ability capability of the TA and when they are not in the room at any part of the lesson it is more possible the TA and T not to be teaching inline. I did not know what to do. I spent a long time thinking it through and decided my instinct was take the child out. Guess what oftsed never came to any of my maths lesson or literacy and only watched foundation subjects - PE ICT and history where accessing the objective needed TA support for more than my one child!

6. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

That's interesting and I can see your point. Our TAs have to sit on the carpet for the teacher input-supporting where needed, but I've always felt that's a bit of a waste of their time if the input is above the heads of these children. HOWEVER, we've just had Ofsted in (got Outstanding) and were particularly praised for this.

Are you asked to plan for your teacher input bit and the LSA bit too? That's a lot of planning. Or do you feel it's not?

7. The other way to do it would be to keep the child in for the input, get them to do the colouring activity and then possibly cut out the fractions and give the TA some cards with questions on such as: can you see which is bigger, a half or a quarter?. That way, you have differentiated but the cards are purely for discussion. Ofsted would see that you are directing the TA but using cards would be more flexible than a worksheet.