1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do your kids take their exercise books home?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mincepies, Aug 8, 2011.

1. At my son's school , he is just about to start Year 4, I have never yet seen any exercise books that he has written in. We get a few bits and pieces of art at the end of term and that it is it. I have no idea what happens to the books year on year, but would love to have them to see his work and keep them as a memento, so will be enquiring in September about this.
    The school I teach in has had the practise (until this year) of keeping all the books for a year in case of OFsted and then binning/shredding them. I find this shocking as what value does it place on the work the children have done, but also know from quick straw poll of parents who are friends that they would love to have their childrens books. This year we have sent books home with kids, but it makes me wonder how common is this practise!
    What do other schools do?

2. At my son's school , he is just about to start Year 4, I have never yet seen any exercise books that he has written in. We get a few bits and pieces of art at the end of term and that it is it. I have no idea what happens to the books year on year, but would love to have them to see his work and keep them as a memento, so will be enquiring in September about this.
    The school I teach in has had the practise (until this year) of keeping all the books for a year in case of OFsted and then binning/shredding them. I find this shocking as what value does it place on the work the children have done, but also know from quick straw poll of parents who are friends that they would love to have their childrens books. This year we have sent books home with kids, but it makes me wonder how common is this practise!
    What do other schools do?

3. Oh, this is so sad! I used to love getting my books home at the end of year to a) show off my favourite work to my mum and dad and b) use the blank pages at the back for writing stories or playing schools.

In our school we send books home at the end of the year or as they're filled. I like hanging on to the first books from start of term so I can see at the end of the year how far kids have come when I write reports. I send folders of loose pages home each term.
    We had a terrible teacher in our place a few years back and she had basically told parents kids doing fine, when really their written work in class showed the opposite. Now we keep two books for each subject and send them home alternately for HW so parents can see what chn have done in class. I think it works really well, and it means if you;re doing extended writing in your literacy books you can keep the continuity going in one book.

It means a heck of a lot of books though!

4. How awful to shred children's work!! It takes less effort to send them home with the children! We keep them for a year and then send them home. Parents see the books at parents evenings and open door policy although they very rarely come to have a look.

5. teach321

teach321 New commenter

In our school books are not sent home due to previous cases of parents complaining at small marking inaccuracies. However, we do have open-book evenings where parents can come in and look through children's work (presumably they have less time to find any marking mistakes!).
    Books are also kept for assessment purposes.
    It's a shame that the children don't get to keep the hard work they have done throughout the year.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There was a thread about this at the end of term. Lots of discussion about what various schools do and why. Dates around the middle of July probably, if you do a quick search.

7. inq

inq

Some of ours - mainly foundation subjects - go home, art (thick paper and not full), maths and literacy go up to be finished. When they are finished in the next year group they go home.
    As a child I liked the new books at the start of a new year as it was always a good incentive to try and make my work tidy!

8. Sad that a few parents complaints can lead to most of children's parents losing out by never seeing their child's books. What is that saying about one swallow does not a summer make....All makes it feel secretive and lacking in trust between parents and schools. It is a shame [​IMG]

9. Sorry minnieminx I didn't realise was too busy at end of term! It woke me up last night thinking about it - teachers never stop!
    Will do a search. Ta.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Heyy don't be sorry. Just thought you might find it interesting to read.

11. Tried to find. any idea what the message title might include?
    Must try harder [​IMG]

12. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/500982.aspx?PageIndex=1

You'll have to copy and paste because I don't know how to do links on google chrome. Sorry, but here it is. Hope you didn't want an early night!

13. Thanks Minnieminx, bit of a can o' worms! Shocking state of affairs really. Interesting reading though.

14. Just read the other thread - very interesting reading.
    I've worked at a school had a policy which I wasn't too sure about at first but, from what I've just read, seems to be a great balance and compromise:
    A letter is sent home a few days before the end of the year asking parents if they would like their child's work. Only children who return the slip take their books home. A sample of HA, A and BA books are then kept from the books that don't go home. Any other books are thrown out (once the covers have been removed).
    At another school I let children take a book home for the weekend (or a photocopy of the work) if they had done a particularyl good piece of work part way through the year. The children and parents really liked this, especially if they had received a certificate for the work.

15. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

The reason that so many schools do not send books home, is due to the flack they receive from parents, eg. you marked this sum wrong when it was right etc and also for Ofsted and subject leaders portfolios. Going through your marking with a fine toothed comb at the end of a busy term, is a lot more hard work than shredding! The kids should have learnt what's in their books by now anyway! Projects and quality pieces should be sent home, but not the daily routine stuff in my view.

16. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Yes

17. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

We've just been told to send all ours home! No time for end of term fun activities the. I'll be marking work I thought was due for the bin!