1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do your chn access CI whilst others are in focus groups?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by sillysausage21, Apr 7, 2012.

1. sillysausage21

sillysausage21 New commenter

How does everyone run their focus activity time? For example during my phonics/guided reading time I have 6 groups and only 2 of these will be able to work with adults. Therefore do your other groups have activities planned for them or do they choose?!

2. sillysausage21

How does everyone run their focus activity time? For example during my phonics/guided reading time I have 6 groups and only 2 of these will be able to work with adults. Therefore do your other groups have activities planned for them or do they choose?!

3. Hi, if my children ( nursery) are not working with an adult they can choose IWB , 2 computers with say Busy things games on, writing table, role-play, music, listening to and music trolley, dressing up, book collection, bench activities, easel with paint or similar, sand, water(activities usually set up in sand and water but they can choose something else to put in ) construction set ( one is usually set up) light box, sticking table, or small world. If one of the aforementioned activities is a focus task then there would be something else on tables ie dough or builders tray activity. One adult, at least will be free to intervene /engage with children to ensure equipment is used appropriately and children are engaging in activities. Hope this helps. I think (and ofsted and LA advisorwere fine with) that children need some things set up attractively to entice them to use but as they become familiar with where equipment is kept and where it can be used they have increasingly greater input. If you are in reception you may have fewer adults though. Hope this helps eve

4. sillysausage21

I am in Reception and have myself and a TA, plus a 1:1 TA. I currently do phonic/reading activities everyday after the phonics input. I have the chn roughly in 6 groups so we used to have 3 groups completing a focus activity/3 groups CI and then the next day we swap over. So in the week all groups would have 2 focussed phonic activities in the week.
    However I will now have a TA less. Also my TAs feel it is unfair and distracting for the 3 groups that are in focussed groups if the others are allowed child initiated time. I wonder how others feel about this?

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Our children access CI if they aren't working with an adult. All children complete a literacy/numeracy/topic activity every day plus whole class input but not in fixed groups.

6. I would be interested to know, how do you organise this? Do you just call over, say 6 children at a time throughout the day? During CI time or does your CI time run all day? We have a timetabled 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour CI in the afternoon, so chn are expected to be working with an adult either in groups or whole class for the rest of the time.

7. hurny

hurny New commenter

Are you in Y1?
    How do you manage to evidence 30 children's learning towards the ELGs (bearing in mind that evidence should be 80% CI /20% AL) within 2 hours a day? [​IMG]

8. Msz

We have timetabled whole class input and at other times AI & CI run alongside. 1 adult works with groups AI activitiy while the other adult supports CI

9. Hi
    Ours runs like Msz. Two adults - me and TA. Short whole class input then 1 adult with a group of children on adult focussed activity and 1 adult supporting free flow - usually outside because that is where most children go. Once per week we do an outside challenge and the adult supervises groups doing this whist one group inside doing adult led. All other children choose. Groups are sometimes set social groups and other times chosen ad hoc from children who don't look involved on a task or who ask to do the task.
    When I am lucky enough to get a volunteer (2 sessions per week) I usually put them on an additional adult led task too - teaching creative or constructive skills then observe to see if they use these skills in their play.
    I have also just begun to start social groups of children doing independent activities too and this is working well.
    Also should point out that activities are as cross curricular as I can make them!

10. I am looking at upping the group work we do for the summer term and agree that with 2 staff , one needs to be supporting CI if the other is leading a group. But assuming that you have 5 groups of 6 children, whether social groups,working through a class list/ad hoc or differentiated groups, how can every child do a literacy, numeracy and a topic group every day? Do you have groups on the go all day and if so, how do you share this out between a teacher and a TA? What happens when accidents/wettings/arguements happen, who deals with this? Our head teacher wants more CI "directed" tasks and choosing boards alongside more groups. I am just worried that we will be all grouped out and not working in the holistic/child centred way that I prefer. I would really appreciate other peoples ideas on this as I need to come up will a plan before we go back after Easter. Thank you.

11. Msz

whoever is nearest
    The activity usually takes 10 -15 mins for the child to complete and as one child finishes another joins the table.

12. Hi Toobusy
    1. We try our best we cannot ensure that each child does a literacy, numeracy and topic activity every day but for the very reasons you have mentioned this is not always possible, so I have a list of activities (my weekly plan) to do over a week. As I said before I try to make every activity as cross curricular as possible to cover as many objectives as possible. Sometimes I get them done and can do 'additional' activities and other times they spill over into the next week (not a crime as far as I know).
    2. I don't agree with children doing 'directed' tasks during CI as I would not class this as CI. I try to balance AI, AD and CI activities out over the year, changing the balance as the children develop but would ALWAYS want the opportunity for children to use their skills doing their own thing (with an adult around to observe/enhance as appropriate).
    I do think that the statistical 'advice' about percentages of CI play and observational assessment has taken away our right to do what is best for the child. To be honest, I have always done what I feel is right for the children and am lucky enough to have a Head who trusts me to do the right thing and would not dream of trying to change the way I work.
    Good luck.

13. hurny

hurny New commenter

I do the same as Lilyput and others. I have one focus activity be it indoors or outdoors and the other children are involved in CI with the continuous provision.
    The TA and I share responsibility for focus (AL) activities and the CI activities. If my TA is doing a focus activity I am supporting CI activities ensuring all children are on task, joining in their play (where necessary) possibly extending it if they are constantly doing the same thing everyday, making observations of any new learning etc.
    I'm not so sure about this. I don't think there is statistical, percentage advice about how many CI activities there should be in comparison to AL. The advice is that there should be a balance between the two...however, it does seems the word 'balance' is interpreted very differently in some Reception classes.
    I'm also not sure whether more AL actvities are 'best' for the child.......possibly best for the adult who might feel like they are not doing anything productive unless they are leading children towards the specific learning outcome outlined by the focus activity.
    I do find this is the case with quite a few supply teachers and TAs. If they are not involved in an adult led activity, then they feel like they are not doing the 'job' properly.
    With regards to the 80% AL / 20% CI advice for assessments. I believe this is difficult to achieve even when CI activities are going on throughout the day......never mind just for 2 hours a day. It would probably more achieveable if there were half the amount of children in the class.
    However, I also believe in the thinking behind the advice. If children can achieve certain goals only or mainly during adult led activities, then is their achievement really secure?
    This document is a good read and might help those who don't see the benefit of CI activities:
    Playing to Learn

14. hurny

hurny New commenter

Oops! I meant 80% CI /20% AL. [​IMG]

15. sillysausage21

So are we saying that most people manage to get all 30 chn through 3 different focus activities a day with just 1 adult? [​IMG]

16. hurny

hurny New commenter

I doubt this happens, it isn't physically possible unless there are a multitude of adults within the class.
    I do not insist all 30 children come to focus activities (except for guided reading/writing).
    For focus activities, I have specific children in mind who (based on my assessments and observations) need more support towards achieving certain aspects of learning. Of course, if other childen choose to join the activity we will not send them away!
    For example, some children will spend long periods of time at the creative area, making models, painting etc. and others will not go near it. Therefore their EYFS records show me that they are not achieving what is expected in CD.
    So, I will find out what these children are interested in, plan a focus painting/model making activity and request they join it. My aim for the focus activity is to give them more confidence in this area so they might be more inclined to access it independently. I will not request that the children who always access painting/model making join the activity, but if they do come then that is fine as they can still develop their CD skills and they are also good role models.
    Another example is PSRN activities. I have a group of children who will freely go to calculating activities such as board games etc. and others who prefer to play in the role play area every day, serving each other food, pretending to be mums/dads....and so on.
    So I will plan a focus activity, such as a shopping game with shopping lists and support the children who rarely choose calculating activities with their calculating skills. Then I will move away from the activity and see how they get on independently over the next few days. Again, the focus activity has not been planned for all children as some have already achieved the activity's LOs in their independent play.
    I find this works well for me and the TA especially at this time of year when we are getting closer (half a term) to the EYFSP completion. Our focus activities are focussed more on certain children as opposed to ensuring we are covering a certain learning goal for all children.
    I hope this makes sense [​IMG]

17. hi Msz,

How many children and adults have you got? Sorry cant remeber? We fun ours very similar, one adult supporting CI, whilst other adult AI but we dont manage to get all children Lit/Num and topic every day. Would reading be extra? Group or 1-1?

Thanks,

PP

18. Msz

We have 30 reception children 1 teacher and 1 NN. Reading is separate 1-1 and there are a number of parents helping at the moment

19. sillysausage21

So how do you manage to fit all 30 chn through 3 different groups with only 1 adult Msz? Or does it work like Hyssop described?

20. Msz

I can't see a reply from Hyssop?