1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you write individual lesson plans?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Obviously for interviews and observed lessons, yes.
    But just usually, do you do this? Or just a short-term (weekly) plan?

2. clawthorpegirl

clawthorpegirl New commenter

No. Not for observed lessons either.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I have a plan for each lesson and it takes about a side of A4 paper.

But the full on super duper detailed plan is just for observed lessons or one off lessons to give to someone else to teach.

Why do you ask?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

yes, daily lesson plans for literacy and numeracy ( a page a day for each) and weekly plans for the rest ( a week covers around 3 pages).

5. SERIOUSLY? You teach, say, 4 lessons a day and you have 4 A4 plans?!
    (Also, SERIOUSLY?!, person who doesn't even do them for observations! Haha excellent.)
    I'm just sorting out my file for the new half-term and being a reflective practitioner! Ha! Thinking about how I can be more organised as I never seem to have enough time? We plan as a year team, so we sit down together and come up with weekly plans for English and Maths, and a weekly plan for foundation subjects as well. It just got me to thinking: is it strictly necessary to produce an individual lesson plan for every Maths and English lesson if I've got my weekly plans?
    Hello, by the way! x

6. Lessons planned daily for Literacy and Numeracy regardless of being observed or not.
    No plans for Topic but work from a medium term plan. If I have LSA support, I would plan a Topic so they are clear on what I want from them.

7. I'm exactly the same, Carrie - and in a KS2 class, it's likely to be 4 years before I can re-use plans for English and maths!
    BUT, I am already re-using some bits from last year, tweaking activities, reminding myself of what we did when, objectives, etc. It's the input that can't be repeated verbatim!

8. Planning is a process not a piece of paper!

9. Unfortunately, The Uni and my Placement B insisted on Multiple pages in such detail I could be up until the Early hours planning , then be expected to get up at 0515...

I am no longer a Trainee Teacher

10. Crikey!!!
    I'm genuinely shocked that people spend so long typing stuff up maybe unnecessarily. If it helps with your delivery, and your assessment, fair enough, but if it doesn't, why do it?
    My maths and English for the week, can often fit onto an A4 sheet...together! I have 1 A4 sheet for the rest of the subjects for the term. I spend most of my time assessing and planning my next lessons in light of AfL. I was recently observed under the new Ofsted framework, twice. One inspector wanted to see my lesson plan. I gave him a sheet with about 3 lines of writing on for a double lesson, and the other one wasn't bothered. I was given outstanding in both lessons. If you are planned to the nth degree, how can you adapt your lesson to the children's needs? If ever I found myself working under a Head who insisted on huge levels of planning, I would either go to my union, or move schools.

11. We have to write detailed maths and english plans for the week all 1 a4 side for each lesson, then G.R, writing targets,maths targets plans for the week, 5 phonic plans, topic plan for afternoon lessons. Luckily we manage to share and split the planning between our year groups, but we would never get away with having a short plan. Even for OFSTED, we would have to plan even more detailed if they came in and we did have too when they visited last year, only for the OFSTED people to not even look at the plans. Too much paperwork I say.

12. hzl

hzl

LGR22 - you are very lucky, but from my experience, 'Good' or 'Outstanding' rated schools tend to trust their teachers more, although the majority of those schools do require planning, and in a particular format.

The Schools White Paper 2010 says that neither Ofsted, government (nor headteacher) require written lesson plans, let alone a particular format. The only problem is that I have yet to have the guts to point this out to head teachers for whom I have worked. In the last school not only did I have to do long, medium, daily planning (each lesson about 1 A4 page), but individual lesson plans (each about 1 A4 page) and individual daily timetables (2 A4 pages) for my two TAs (daily timetables took 1-2 hours each day, were pretty useless, TAs only did the parts they wanted). And because I was sacrificing rest/ sleep/ life for planning, it meant my teaching was never as great as it could otherwise have been, simply because I was too tired. I also felt pressured (because of having to do lesson plans for the TAs) to stick slavishly to the lesson plans. I much prefer tweaking the lesson to children's needs, and letting teaching/ learning/ results speak for themselves.

13. I'The Schools White Paper 2010 says that neither Ofsted, government (nor headteacher) require written lesson plans, let alone a particular format.'

Perhaps someone ought to tell the Universities who insist on all this pettifogging Admin of their students..
    I can deliver good lessons but because I hadn't slavishly followed the lesson plan, I was given an 'Unsatisfactory' bymy Mentor.
    On one occasion,despite being assured by my Mentor that the class had learned about Flash, When I came to deliver the next lesson, it turned out that they had NO knowledge whatsoever. Within a minute, my lovingly-created lesson plan was just so much waste paper. I had to give a 'Flash 101' lesson with no plan. Did I get any praise for flexibility? NO!

14. I work for Adult Community Learning (ACL). We have to produce SOW and lesson plans for inspection before we can teach it. We then are subject to surprise inspections and the lesson plans have to be individualised for the particular group of learners and reflection notes written on each lesson or we get a little telling off and a lower grade. I was recently told off for not ticking their mission statements, that have to be printed on each lesson plan, to prove I had included them Save the trees and ink I say. :)

15. Haha, ohhh the good old days! I know, I was so envious when I would painstakingly plan everything right down to GR and Circle Time and mentors just did 1 page weekly plans! I suppose this was one of the reasons I asked, though. I wondered if, now I'm not a trainee, could I relax on that front or whether that was something that you can only do with experience, not just the QTS.
    These responses are very interesting! A lot of variety in them.

16. Speaking of GR, I don't plan it and unless I'm summoned somewhere for a telling-off, I never will. That feels so unecessary. I know the AFs and I like GR to be an 'organic' chat about a book, not an inquisition. I ask Qs and scrawl down what I've asked, scrawl down key quotes from the chn, then spend 10 mins later on putting that onto the GR sheets properly. GR is, like, the only thing I'm naturally good at haha [​IMG] and even I can see that spending time writing out elaborate plans (which you'll probably disregard anyway, when a child makes an interesting point you want to follow up) is a cosmic great waste of time.
    I love GR. What's nicer than enjoying a book? :))

17. The most important thing is the needs of the children???
    Oh no, I think you'll find it's the needs of the SLT. Otherwise what would they spend their time trawling through each week when our plans - every lesson in minute detail - are collected in? What would they base their feedback upon? The plans have to include key questions, vocabulary, WALT & WILF, AfL, references to IEP, IBP, Language plans, statements etc etc etc. And we are even guided as to the colour highlighters to use!

18. I love back-planning. My lessons go so well :))

19. Is it really naughty? [​IMG]

20. In my humble opinion, back planning is the best way to plan. Every lesson goes to plan. Children's needs will always be considered. no need for unnecessary detail,
    Defiitely the way forward - let's roll it out asap [​IMG]