1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you worry when you book a holiday?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Feb 26, 2011.

1. We haven't had a holiday for a couple of years, and as my mum gave me some money - she does this from time to time - we decided to book a holiday.
    We are going to the Algarve for just a week, and I don't really know how we are going to pay for the balance, as what she gave us only really covers the deposit, but we have done it anyway as we got a really good deal.
    I am really looking forward to going, but I hate going on holiday and will have to find some way of trying to control my anxiety before we go.
    I like to go because I know the girls will have a great time, but at the same time I hate it, if that makes any sense.
    My husband is very good, he will be armed with the Flash wipes and will make sure everything is sparkly clean without me even having to ask, and he won't complain about any of it.
    The girls will have to miss the last four days of school which also worries me slightly, but it was the only option we could afford.

2. We haven't had a holiday for a couple of years, and as my mum gave me some money - she does this from time to time - we decided to book a holiday.
    We are going to the Algarve for just a week, and I don't really know how we are going to pay for the balance, as what she gave us only really covers the deposit, but we have done it anyway as we got a really good deal.
    I am really looking forward to going, but I hate going on holiday and will have to find some way of trying to control my anxiety before we go.
    I like to go because I know the girls will have a great time, but at the same time I hate it, if that makes any sense.
    My husband is very good, he will be armed with the Flash wipes and will make sure everything is sparkly clean without me even having to ask, and he won't complain about any of it.
    The girls will have to miss the last four days of school which also worries me slightly, but it was the only option we could afford.

3. DL you aren't alone! I get very very stressed out about going away. So much so that I avoid it now!
    The sad thing is I have a large sum of money sat in an ISA, given to me by my nan when grandad passed away. It is there to be used for a holiday for me and the OH, as my nan knows I haven't had one in so long and probably need one! Just looking for where to go stresses me out....let alone actually going anywhere! So the money just sits there in the account waiting (gaining interest though so that is a bonus I guess).

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

What is it about the holiday that is making you anxious? Is the cleanliness of the hotel/ apartment?
    Don't worry they won't miss a huge amount and a holiday somewhere nice will do them good.

5. Yep, Marshypops, it is the cleanliness mainly. Although having been to the Algarve before, I know the standards of cleanliness are very high. It's more the thoughts of who has used the place before you, really.
    Pff, I too have avoided holidays, choosing to go and stay with my sister which isn't always like a holiday. But I don't want the girls to miss out, so I try to make the effort.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I can understand how this would make you anxious :)

7. I am trying to reassure myself that you spend a relatively short amount of time in the actual apartment :)

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

That is how I get over my anxious feelings. I always take my own towels too [​IMG]

9. You are not alone. I went on my first holiday for years last year. I used to suffer from severe OCD and so holidays were a complete no-no. Last year though I felt recovered enough to go. I was worried about our apartment as it was cheap but it was actually fine. I took my own towel, pillowcase and sleeping bag liner in case things weren't clean enough but I didn't use them. I also worry excessively about dodgy food so we went self-catered. I actually managed to overcome my fears and we ate out every night :).

10. I will take my own towels, and pillow case.
    I will take my own plate, cup, glass, knife, fork, teabags. I used to take my own travel kettle.
    I just take my own, the rest of the family can do what they like :p.
    I will probably prefer to eat out, as that way I am not so anxious, as it is not something I can control.
    We are going self catering, but I actually find eating in the apartment tricky. I will probably also cover all the seats with the apartments own towels/spare sheets:/
    I know this would drive most people mad, but my husband and children just laugh!