1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you work in a school...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bizent, May 9, 2012.

1. bizent

bizent Star commenter

...where the SLT are in touch with what is going on, have empathy, appreciate how tough it can be at the "chalkface" and offer a positive solution to something rather than constantly point out what they perceive to be wrong?

2. bizent

bizent Star commenter

...where the SLT are in touch with what is going on, have empathy, appreciate how tough it can be at the "chalkface" and offer a positive solution to something rather than constantly point out what they perceive to be wrong?

3. No. And I don't know anyone who does. Isn't that blinking depressing.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Yes actually at my new school! However it closes this year! [​IMG]

6. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

No, not just now, but I have worked in schools where there was a much more supportive ethos for staff.

7. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I might add that the other 'chalkface workers' are equally unsupportive, cold and unhelpful (in my current school)

9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Yes.

10. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i do, but that's due to people who do the job properly are now in charge.

11. Do you work where I work?!

12. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I do and as a result it isn't all that tough at the chalkface - the kids behave because our SLT are "well scary!" [​IMG] (They aren't really!)
    I've worked in schools where it's a nightmare though and it's awful.
    *raises a glass to kind and supportive Heads and SLT everywhere*

13. Jammy-Dodger

Jammy-Dodger New commenter

Yes, I do! (sorry).

14. I do too!
    It's still hard work, but it's worth getting up in the mornings for...

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Yes [​IMG]
    And I love it!

16. HA HA HA HA HA

17. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Snortle.

18. of the 7 heads I worked for, three were aware of how hard it was to be a good classroom teacher, but I think the trend is towards high-handed leadership distanced from those who haven't made it to the executive suite. And I echo the post above because , even more disappointingly, fellow classroom teachers seem less supportive and more unsympathetic to colleagues than they have ever been, especially the young and ambitious, who seem more ruthless and lacking in humanity than ever.

19. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Yes I do - which will be why my school is a good school with outstanding features, unlike the previous dump which was plundering into special measures. I do believe that this is one of many things that go towards ensuring a school is successful, cohesive and happy.

20. bizent

bizent Star commenter

so is mine!