1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you work at weekends?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cat2611, Oct 5, 2015.

1. cat2611

cat2611 Occasional commenter

I recently totted up how many hours I work each week and it is roughly 60 hours a week. I work long days Monday - Friday and I work nearly all day on Saturday. I am constantly thinking about work, I am always tired and it makes me sad that I only get half a weekend with my husband.

Do any teachers on here not work at weekends?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Doubt it? Other than during the holidays of course.

solvacrime and HABZQ24 like this.
  3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I recent survey said the average working week is 60hrs for teachers. I always worked one day at the weekend.

solvacrime, TEA2111 and mark6243 like this.
  4. Linda173

Linda173 New commenter

I feel your pain and everything you have said here is currently shared by staff in my school too. I just read the article about how 50 per cent of teachers in England will quit next year...i am not surprised!!

5. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

It's common to work long hours. Though it depends on how people choose to work during the week. I do extra on set days of the week so I can have set evenings for hobbies and my weekends (other than the odd set of books). Other people may do evening work etc.

Ultimately, you'll never be 100% done on your to do list. So you may as well draw a line, work smarter not harder and reclaim your home life.
    Ps. Ignore anyone in schools suffering from martyr syndrome (you know the types who love showing off how much they're working. Probably just trying to get noticed by SLT and make the job their life).

6. TEA2111

TEA2111 Established commenter

>60hour/week. Money is not worth it! But what to do? 'Get out' is easier said than done especially nearing 50s ....that is the reality. :(

solvacrime, hkap and mark6243 like this.
  7. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Not worked at weekends since I resigned but used to work on a Sunday morning and part of the afternoon.

solvacrime, mark6243 and cat2611 like this.
  8. stmha

stmha Established commenter

I was a PE Teacher and always thought it went with the territory. I think we have to accept a certain amount of prep time and for marking but we dont always help ourselves. Teachers dont always develop smart ways of working, marking, record keeping and hence time is lost. I dont think we are necessarily going to change the culture for teachers within our schools overnight, so at least lets try to work smarter.

I always told colleagues to have a job list. And when one was complete set new targets/goals. Allocate a time period and do whatever you can during that time period...and no more. If it cant get done, it cant get done.

If you end up getting ill with stress none of them get done.

9. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Um..I actually work one Saturday a month, e.g. Saturday activities and put in a few hours on a Sunday - but weeknights, I try not to as I have a toddler. My work-life balance in my new school is much better - I live closer and get up at 715 rather than 6am, longer day but time-wise ok. I did do loads of preparation this summer along with my SOWs, so any planning now is on a daily basis.Over half-term,will prepare a text booklet for my Year 12 but that shouldn't take too long. Hopefully....

10. drek

drek Star commenter

Why is it those who don't teach anymore, always advise others about working 'smarter'?. We have 2 x 1 hour weekly meetings every week, register taken, telling us to do the same. The person leading the meeting takes an hour to go over 15 minutes worth of 'things we want to see you do that will improve your practice'. Lead by example first.
    They keep giving us lists of things they want to 'see' happening. And lists of 'documents' they want us to produce to evidence the first set of lists.
    It's only the first 6 weeks of rolling out the new curriculums. We have about 3 full folders of useless paperwork from an army of 'managers' with 'improving others', wish lists, since we are all very desperate to become outstanding practitioners, which means hogwash really.
    So far we have had to carry out 2 assessments minimum per student ( some have a 170 students per week, others have much less), on topics we did not really have time to deliver!
    Even if they are peer marked we are supposed to comment and feedback so that is approximately 320 signed and dated autographs, (stamping is considered lazy by the long nosed pinnochios in the system), and 'how to make progress' written comments expected in the first few weeks.
    But since not all teachers have the same number of students per week, there are some teachers walking about looking bulldozed, whilst others jauntily walk about, motivating the first lot to be positive about their imposed workload.
    I don't want to be in either extreme bracket, but with micromanagement, don't have much choice anymore, to either take it or leave it.
    In week 4 we had a mocksted delivered by an external expert. We were given yet another list of things she wanted to 'see'. Still recovering from that doozer.
    Our pile of to-do's is becoming bigger and bigger and bigger. I would not be stressed if it was my own list of to dos, this is a list of imposed stuff they want 'everyone' to do irrespective of number of students, SEN, EAL or behaviour issues, or number of exam groups.
    Don't worry, we are all happy, fortunately.

Ezzie, shireeciani0, jeanlegg and 4 others like this.
  11. stmha

Why is it that some of those who teach just cant understand that we have all been through it before...

12. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Exactly! How can teachers 'work smarter' when they are micro-managed to the extent that you have no control over your workload, even down to when you do something.

drek, lizziescat and mark6243 like this.
  13. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

I'm currently teaching and I don't work weekends. But then I don't use power point or smartboard etc every lesson. I don't spend hours planning lessons that I've taught hundreds of times before and I mark while the kids are working independently. I also feel no guilt about finishing reports while the classes get on with some work.

I watch with interest my colleagues who tell me they were up all night, planning and marking, and I walk through their rooms to see they're doing nothing more than me.

However, I doubt I'd get away with this approach in primary and my heart goes out to colleagues there.

14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Old-fashioned I am going to take a leaf out of your book.

solvacrime and stmha like this.
  15. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

You wouldn't get away with that in most secondary schools either, Oldfashioned. The process is too heavily micromanaged for you to get away with it.

16. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

I don't work weekends very often. Maybe one Saturday or Sunday a month. Secondary History, Geography and Politics.

Marking gets done before or after school (usually 1-2 sets of books or folders an evening), planning (okay, really re-jigging powerpoints from last year and adapting free stuff from this website) gets done in PPA time. I usually leave around 5:30 and finish anything that I haven't marked in the morning. I have about an hour between getting in and my registration class.

Hell, I often mark stuff during registration. I have sixth formers so they're more than capable of amusing themselves and reading notices if I've got a few Year 9 assessments to finish before first period.

I only rarely take work home. Last night I took some Year 11 tests home to finish marking them, which took me about another forty-five minutes. First time I've done so all term.

My school demands that books are marked every 3 weeks and students should be responding in a stupid-coloured pen to teachers' comments. I've gotten it down to 2 weeks for most classes so I'm looking good for management. Oh, and so the kids are um, marked and feedbacked which helps the learning because reasons.

I teach... a lot of students. 3 year 7 groups, 3 year 8 groups, 2 year 9, 1 year 11, 2 year 12 and a year 13 group, across 2 subjects at KS3, 1 at KS4 and 2 at KS5. Probably about 300 students all told? I dunno, there's a reason I'm not a maffs teacher.

stmha likes this.
  17. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I usually mark two sets of work over the weekend. I feel that I am paid back for that with my holidays and gained time in the summer term.

espeake6258 and stmha like this.
  18. stmha

Gave up teaching for years ago.I only taught A'level and GCSE but never found I was micro-managed at all. If someone had tried I think I would be asking some stern questions.

If you spend too much time trying to jump through someon else's hoops you will trip eventually.

19. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

You're right, Oldfashioned. Even when children are working independently primary teachers are expected to be either working with a focus group or circulating around the classroom giving verbal feedback and/or checking behaviour. Gone are the days when a teacher could sit at their desk and mark whilst the children got on with their work: learning walks and drop-ins have put paid to that. I have been chastised for sitting at my desk during an assessment test despite the fact that I have a very good view of everyone in the class from there - I should have been pacing up and down the columns of desks checking that children's pencils were still sharp and their noses weren't running.

TEA2111 likes this.
  20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I brought no work home tonight and will relax a bit with the kitten and spouse. I do a bit during my frees and only panic one day a week (when I have 5 out of 6 periods and my classroom is being used by another teacher that free period,) but I just go to the computer room or a quiet room and do some preparation.

off to make dinner! (salmon with broccoli, if you're curious)