1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you weigh yourself?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Sep 11, 2019.

1. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Or do you just rely on your clothes to tell you if you're your usual weight? I haven't weighed myself since I was a teenager, but out of curiosity due to a lower carb eating plan I'm on I bought a pair of scales. Seems to be all digital now - I couldn't find a set of scales I recognised from my teen days! I have a glass set now - they give me the willies when I stand on them because, well, they're glass...
    I stopped using scales because I was obsessed with weight. As young people (girls) often are.

caress likes this.
  2. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

No, haven’t weighed myself for years - but I get weighed as routine when I have a hospital appointment. I can tell I’ve put on weight when my clothes start creaking at the seams.

coffeekid and nomad like this.
  3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Every morning. End of May I was 18st 10lb. This morning 15st 11lb :);):);):p:cool::rolleyes:

blue451, emerald52, nizebaby and 19 others like this.
  4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Every morning when my head is in the right place for sensible eating.

It means I can adjust what I'm eating so I don't lose weight too quickly.

5. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Also every morning; lost 15Kg since March. Back to clothes I haven't been able to wear for a couple of years.

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

:-O

7. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

What?
    I try not to lose more than a pound a day on average.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Most days. If it goes up I cut down.

nizebaby and ShowerGel like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes... every morning. Then record it on my phone app.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

No, our scales are broken. It’s all in the fit of the clothes.

towncryer likes this.
  11. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My sweetheart has been attending fat club for some months and became obsessive about weighing herself each day. To her credit, she's stuck rigidly to her diet and shed enough pounds to be able to wear the sort of clothes she prefers.

I don't know how many conversations we've had though about the accuracy and inconsistency of scales, since when she gets weighed at fat club, there is always a difference between what she thinks she weighs and what the fat club leader tells her.

If I've explained once about asking when the fat club scales were last calibrated, I've explained it a thousand time. Also what mechanism they use and whether there was a change in barometric pressure between her weighing herself in the morning and the fat club weighing in the evening, whether one set of scales is on a concrete floor and the other on floorboards...

12. blazer

blazer Star commenter

A pound a day is a lot. I have done 41 lbs in about 110 days which is approx 2lb per week

emerald52 likes this.
  13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Morning and evening can change. I am usually 3 lb heavier at bedtime than first thing in the morning. Weight which is lost during the night:eek:

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  14. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I weigh every night, unless I've been particularly greedy / well fed and then I'll pass for a day or two. I vary by about 5lbs. I was doing so well until the takeaway on Sunday :). I've had to work at keeping my weight down since I was a girl.

ShowerGel and lanokia like this.
  15. Nanook_rubs_it

Nanook_rubs_it Star commenter

Indeed, I weigh myself at around the same time, and on the same scales, to eliminate variables; absolute weight is not the issue, it is gauging how my weight changes that is important. I haven't checked my scales for linear accuracy though. My OH would find that an obsession too far...

Reminds me of my 'A' Level Chemistry lab instructions 'Weigh approximately X grammes, accurately'. I thought that quite profound at the time, when I understood what was meant.

lanokia and blazer like this.
  16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

She is lucky to have someone so supportive.

lindenlea likes this.
  17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm on a diet at the moment so...yes

bombaysapphire likes this.
  18. blazer

blazer Star commenter

[​IMG]

19. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Yes every day on same scales in same place before I eat or drink anything. I take a weekly average because weight fluctuates day to day so weekly weigh ins not for me.

20. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I'm always 2lb lighter in the morning than I am at the 5.30 fat club weigh in.