1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you wear purple now that you have retired?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by Spanakopita, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Or are you more conservative in dress so that you will fade into the background? Do you behave outrageously or more sedately now that you are more advanced in years?

2. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Purple no, neutrals, as in cream, grey, beige, fawn possibly navy, yes. I am happy to melt into the background sartorially. At work I was the oldest, now I'm the youngest in my circle. I am in awe of the power of some of these women. Boy, do they know there own minds and they're not afraid to tell you. I'm watching and learning. Still, I do what I like but I'm quiet about it. Usually.What about you Nutella - you're throwing out a lot of questions here but giving nothing away.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I was just trying to get the forum going a bit, lindenlea, which is why I was posting lots of threads. ( also too, because it has been raining so much, I was time wasting and procrastinating).
    I wear purple sometimes. I have just bought a skirt from M&S with some large purplish flowers on a green leafy background that makes me look like a giant garden. I usually buy my stuff in charity shops though so I buy what I fancy. I have no notion of fashion so I am a sartorial disaster. I do what I like too. I have got friends who are younger and friends who are older. What power are you in awe of?

4. I have started to plan my new wardrobe and will be giving my school clothes away YAY
    I will not only be wearing purple but a red hat too!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Very dashing! Will you put a feather in the hat?

6. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Not only purple, but orange, red, deep turquoise.... My light reddish hair is now deep red, my glasses are Sophia Loren with sparkly corners, necklaces big and bold, dangly earrings, boots in every colour. I used to be a mouse. Black, grey, navy, frumpy.....I like the new me! The kids do too.

7. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

I am in awe of no woman now.
    I do have a twinge of regret looking back at my photos from the 60s - don't take this the wrong way...but I was so beautiful and so unaware. My mother had pounded any sense of worth out of my siblings and me.
    She still does, though we are in our 60s and professionally successful,

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I'm probably just a wimp. At work I got used to keeping my powder dry apart from expressing firm opinions on work related issues. Now I'm surprised to hear opposing views on everything aired forcefully. As I said I am a total wimp. I am also left well behind in general intellect - these women are very well read, know more about music and the theatre than I do and take time to read the paper. I doubt they while away their mornings on here. They also put themselves out for each other in an admirable way

9. razziegyp

razziegyp New commenter

Which women?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The women in ll's circle. Perhaps they are in the U3A. Those in the U3A where I live are very bossy and at monthly meetings kept clapping hands and ringing bells to call the meeting to order. I gave up going because they made me feel like a naughty school girl.

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

No not U3A although some of them may be in that too. I doubt I will ever be really forthright, but I like people who are. We were away last night for a party in the company of some great people, many of them in their 60s. Kind, enterprising, energetic and definitely the types to wear whatever damn colour they choose.

12. Hmm. There seems to be an anwritten law that one should behave decorously once retired? I must remember that when at the Iron Maiden and Alice Cooper concerts a little later this year.
    (Retiring in 2 weeks 3 days time so getting ready to die my hair purple, learn to spit straight, pick other people's flowers, etc etc!)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I imagine it's quite hard to spit crooked. I suppose you could try to develop top spin, drop shots and lobs. (I have been watching the tennis all week on account of having had to have my leg elevated because of a badly infected insect bite)

14. To enter into the spirit of your posts.
    What were you doing biting badly infected insects?