1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you watch television adverts?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dumpty, Aug 21, 2012.

1. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I most certainly do not and will not. I have the remote on 'back' and go to BBC 24 news when the ads start. What about you?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I rarely watch commercial tv, but when I do it is on playback and there are often no ads or I skip them.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If you watch catch up on tv you can skip ads but if you watch on the computer you're stuck with them...it's a toss up for me because you can get subtitles on the computer but not on catch up on tv.
    I rarely watch ads - that's when you make coffee, go to the loo, take the washing out of the machine or check to see what else is on. I never, ever listen to commercial radio because ads do my head in!

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The most irritating ad and the one that makes me want to scream is the one that comes on before Corrie, with 2 stupid women always sitting on some horrible furniture and making banal witless conversation.

5. I hate adverts so much that I rarely watch or listen to anything other than BBC channels. I'm sure it's because my father wouldn't let us watch ITV as children.

6. shamsh

shamsh Occasional commenter

I hate adverts too, and if I, my husband or children want to watch something that is not on a BBC channel we record it so that we can fast forward adverts. Children's adverts in particular are horrendous with overpriced plastic being repeated over and over again.

7. I nver watch ads anymore since Sky+ means you can whizz through. Brilliant except for when people are going on about this great new tv show they are watching and Im all lost- because I never watch ads I never see promos but hey thats what catch up tv is for.
    Funnily enough only yesterday I was saying to a friend how it seems so obsolete now to watch adverts, miss something on tv etc with Sky+/Tivo/Netflix/Iplayer etc.
    We had a small 14" B&W tv when I was little and Im only in my late 20s!!!

8. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

I make a note of them

means it must be either a wee or beer time.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

10. I hear them more than watch them.
    Some of the music used is quite catchy.

11. This is the source of arguments between OH and I. I hate watching ads and don't have sky so when a programme I watch takes an ad break I flick on to other channels. However I then get wrapped up in another show and we miss some of original one! OH would rather sit through ads, I just can't abide the amount of ads on certain channels. (ahem sky living...)

12. marlin

marlin Star commenter

13. fair enough
    now I'm confused...

14. Whoops, I meant we don't have a sky box for recording/rewinding. We do get some sky channels on basic cable. Sorry for lack of clarity :)

15. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Some of the most annoying ads must be on before the soaps. Luckily, I don't watch stuff like that.
    As for the ads, themselves, we mute them or zoom across them.
    "Simples!" ( Even the meercats annoy me.)

16. I am exactly the same...the 'back button is handy and yes, it must always be tuned to a BBC channel.
    There are some progs I just won't watch given a 40 minute programme can last an hour...I just refuse to sit through them. If they cannot be avoided I tend to see the ad breaks as a time when I get up from the sofa and take things out to the kitchen if needs be, or go and make tea, have a loo break or just potter. They drive me insane...and I rarely watch day-time TV because of them. I cannot even bear to listen to them!
    I am glad I also have a catch-up facility where the ads tend to be cut..or I can fast-forward through them.
    I am so relieved we have the BBC.

17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

18. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

I don't mind them but normally mute.
    I have been meaning to buy some Coors Ice Cold because I like the Jean Claude van Damme advert. Thank you Coors.

19. I quite like the Cidre ad....the '60s globe-trotters seem a bit Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn-ish.
    Mind you...I have no idea who makes this <strike>cider</strike> cidre so that ad didn't really work, did it?
    I don't need to know either...because I don't like cider! [​IMG]
    Still - it hooked me and drew me in.

20. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

Stella Artois - ha ha told you even though you didn't want to know [​IMG]