1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you want your taxed money to pay for a new Royal Yacht?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Morninglover, Jun 5, 2020.

1. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

I'd say we need it like we need a hole in our heads, but the Tories seem to think we do:

Britain needs new Royal Yacht Britannia to provide 'morale boost', says former trade minister
    Digby Jones says he would ask small export facing companies to offer £5,000 each with large firms offering more to help fund construction

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...w-royal-yacht-britannia-provide-morale-boost/

"Britain needs a new Royal Yacht Britannia to give the country a "morale boost" as it recovers from the coronavirus pandemic, a former trade minister and head of the CBI says.

Lord Jones of Birmingham, who as Digby Jones ran the CBI for six years from 2000 to 2006 and later served in Gordon Brown's government as a minister, said a £100 million replacement could be funded by a "three-way split" between businesses, taxpayers and the National Lottery".

emerald52 likes this.
  2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

What Britain needs right now is a Slough built Citroen Traction Avant in my driveway. I am willing to tour the country and open things. It would boost my morale no end.

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

4. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

This old chestnut! No, no and thrice no!

(What planet are these people on?)

Laphroig, LiamD, Jamvic and 2 others like this.
  5. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I’m confused @minnie me. Is your ‘no’ to the yacht, or my Traction Avant?

Jamvic likes this.
  6. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

No ... to the thread title :)

Dragonlady30, Jamvic and knitone like this.
  7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

No.

Dragonlady30 and Jamvic like this.
  8. S1a3t5u7r9n

S1a3t5u7r9n Established commenter

No

Dragonlady30 and Jamvic like this.
  9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Does the Royal Yacht get used much?

Jamvic likes this.
  10. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

If it's only used by the Royals, I think you can guess who I think should pay for it.

11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I think a lot of opposition to a Royal Yacht lies in the inclusion of the word 'royal' in the description. It suggests a luxury vehicle for members of 'The Firm' to go swanning around the globe topping up their suntans and bothering the locals.

However, if it is a means of promoting British trade and will pay for itself within a reasonable time period then I have no objection.

I would suggest, though, a "two-way split" between businesses and the National Lottery.

artboyusa, Jonntyboy, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  12. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

No poll?
    Good investment IMHO at least we get an actual boat all for the cost of some diversity training for a few teachers.

13. Morninglover

£100 million spent on 'diversity training'? Yeah, right.

LiamD and harsh-but-fair like this.
  14. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Yes if it is going to be a big sail training ship like Stad Amsterdam or Dar Mlodziezy that has a small permanent crew and then is a floating school for much of the year for young people then definetely.

burajda, Jonntyboy and nomad like this.
  15. Morninglover

Not sure that's Jones' plan...

Rott Weiler likes this.
  16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There hasn't been a Royal Yacht for over 25 years and the Queen was clear when the last one was got rid of in 1994 that she thought a Royal Yacht was no longer something taxpayers money should be spent on.

I don't think the Conservative party wants a new yacht - it was a Conservative government that got rid of the last one. It's the Telegraph and Digby Jones who have been banging on for years about building a new "Royal" Yacht but no-one except them seems very interested. I'm sure their latest attempt to stir up interest will be ignored the same as all their previous attempts. "Boosting the country's morale after coronavirus" seems a rather desperate and unconvincing sales pitch

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  17. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

We could build the yacht, put all the Royals on and send it on a one way trip to Australia. (Stopping in America to pick up Harry and Megan)

18. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Lead commenter

There are currently 506,400 full-time teachers in the UK. 216,500 work in primary schools, 208,300 work in secondary schools, 61,500 work in independent schools and 16,700 work in special schools.

100,000,000 /506,400=£ 197 per teacher.

That could be taken over a teachers career, given the yacht would last as long.

19. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

What happened to that replica of the Titanic some bonkers Australian billionaire was building? Couldn't they borrow that? The last "Royal Yacht" was dumped because of cost. A new one was not commissioned at the time, because of cost. Since then we have had the great financial crash where "we were all in it together" meaning we were overtaxed, had our incomes drop by 20%, got no payrises for ten years, baled out the banks (too important to fail, steal the money off the public and give it to them so they can still get their obscene bonuses for nearly bankrupting the country), with scrappage for cars (that they want again) where the manufacturers put the prices up by the amount of the scrappage so we, via the government, paid a contribution to new cars for people who could have got one cheaper and probably could afford it anyway, and now the massive cost of the coronavirus epidemic which would have been alleviated had we not had a profligate bunch of idiots siphoning NHS money to private companies, so now we are expected to pay for that too (we are all in the sh*t together). So lets have another ivory tower for the very rich and privileged bunch of Germans who sit at the top of the heap doing nowt and sucking in even more of our money. Yeah, lets!

ajrowing, maggie m, LiamD and 3 others like this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

During lockdown I've started building yachts in my attic.
    Sails are going through the roof!

Laphroig, butties, ajrowing and 11 others like this.