1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you want the moon on a stick?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lascarina, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I have just encountered this phrase (wanting the moon on a stick) for the first time and am thrilled with it. What other expressions are there that have a similar meaning? I can't think they could beat this one but I'd like to hear yours. I see nomad said very appositely on the bread and butter thread that the parents 'wanted jam on it'.

2. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

3. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

4. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

One person I know regularly uses the saying, "You can't put lipstick on a pig"!

5. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

Cameron does!:

‘MOON ON A STICK BY 2015’ SAYS UPBEAT CAMERON

[​IMG]

Following a month of mass protests, international catastrophes and a continual rise in unemployment, Prime Minister David Cameron has sought to boost the morale of the nation by publicly renewing his pre-election promise that Britain will have ‘the moon on a stick’ by 2015.

During a recent Commons debate, Cameron insisted that the MOS (Moon On a Stick) project is on target to be completed by 2015. He went on to reveal that his flagship policy has moved closer to fruition with the successful completion of phase one. ‘I am delighted to announce that the ‘Stick’ part of the plan is currently in its final stages, and will be unveiled early next month,’ he said. ‘Let that be a lesson to all those on the opposite side of the house who doubted this policy.’

Cameron also revealed that the second, ‘Moon’ phase is expected to begin in 2012, following a feasibility study into the two viable alternatives for attaching the moon to the stick. ‘Basically, we can either launch the stick into orbit manually and hope that it reaches its intended target, or we look at a longer, more comprehensive programme of staggered moves to bring the moon closer to Britain.’

http://www.newsbiscuit.com/2011/03/31/‘moon-on-a-stick-by-2015’-says-upbeat-cameron/

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I'll try again.
    Sex on a stick.

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I love those two - that is Richard Herring and Stewart Lee

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In his 1970s stand up show Mike Harding used 'Drink on a stick' to describe desirable young ladies.

racroesus likes this.
  10. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A colleague made good use of "Snooze you lose" which i like.

11. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

When asked what I'd like for Christmas, I have occasionally told my daughter I'd like to be ambidextrous, since that's the only thing apart from a winning lottery ticket, that would honestly make a difference to my life.

Oh to be ambidextrous and a test cricketer as well. Can you imagine how many runs you could get if you could swap hands during the bowlers run up and play the ball to the side of the field he never expected you to?

colpee likes this.
  13. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

14. Duke of York

Well done for reading the thread through before replying, Scint.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Can you do that? The bowler has to tell the umpire if he changes between over and around the wicket.

16. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My old grandad used to say does tha want jam on it?

17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

And I've just read the op properly now.... Just put myself in RI. Sorry

18. Duke of York

I can't see why not. It can only be for H&S reasons that the batsman needs to be prepared to expect which angle a ball might be slung at him. There's no consideration in the rules for where the fielders should stand for their safety.

A batsman who is capable of deflecting a ball into an area where it's unlikely anyone would be hurt by it should deserve the highest praise. Probably the George Medal.

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The Bowler still has all directions from leg to on. H&S didn't happen before helmets but the Bowler still had to say to the umpire: that might have been so that the umpire knew what side of the wicket to watch for no-balls.

20. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

What has cricket got to do with the moon or a stick?