1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use Sibelius or Dorico?

Discussion in 'Music' started by ViolaClef, Jul 26, 2018.

1. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

What do you use at school and/or at home for score-writing? What would your recommendations be?
    Up till now I have used Sibelius at home for arrangements/compositions/worksheets but my computer is on the way out and my last version of Sibelius will probably be going with it, as Sibelius is now only available via monthly subscription. But I understand that Dorico can open and read Sibelius files and is available as a single purchase... Any advice welcome!

2. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I use one of Finale's products (for historical reasons quite an old version, not because there's anything wrong with the newer versions). If I were starting now I would use Musescore as it's free and just as good as the paid for products for all practical purposes, in fact I used it for quite a while when I lost my Finale on a broken computer. I do a lot of writing and arranging and Musescore does everything I've ever asked of it. I can't understand why anyone would pay unless their demands were very specific or weird. You have to get to know the shortcuts and so on, as with any of these products, but it's no more difficult to use than the paid for products.

ViolaClef likes this.
  3. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

ViolaClef likes this.
  4. craftbox

craftbox New commenter

Hi

Having always used Sibelius, I find it excellent. Once you have bought it, it's much cheaper to upgrade your older version than start from scratch (unless it is really old!). You should be able to unregister your licence on your old computer and re-register it on your new one.

You can still buy Sibelius as a one off payment, that doesn't require a subscription.

ViolaClef likes this.