1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use Office 2007? Did you know you had something called OneNote?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ian60, Feb 8, 2012.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I can see it sitting there on my toolbar (it has a grey N as its icon), I have no idea what it's for, it just came along with Word, Excel and PowerPoint
    I would love to know if anyone does ever use this. And if so, what for.
    Does anyone think it is an essential element of their Office suite?
    (I'm not really expecting this thread to run and run, but I'd like to know it is being used)

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I can see it sitting there on my toolbar (it has a grey N as its icon), I have no idea what it's for, it just came along with Word, Excel and PowerPoint
    I would love to know if anyone does ever use this. And if so, what for.
    Does anyone think it is an essential element of their Office suite?
    (I'm not really expecting this thread to run and run, but I'd like to know it is being used)

3. charlotte.johnson06

charlotte.johnson06 New commenter

OneNote is a note taking software which you can mindmap and build an entire database on.
    I haven't used it but I have seen examples where authors use them to keep track of stories.

4. butties

butties New commenter

Google!

5. You be very careful which icons you click on, Ian...I've seen the trouble you can get into just switching a computer on. :¬))

6. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Too late Baubs, I bravely took one click, stayed half a min, then jumped out again.
    So, so far we have one reply: 'no, but I know someone who does'
    and another: 'me neither, but you could look it up if you can be bothered' (my interpretation)

7. Every time I use it I get c sharp.

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Weird. I get D flat!

9. That would be well helpful if you were homeless,blood. Innit.

10. lilachardy

Has it got a spellchecker?

It's 'blud' innit tho?

11. Well, I found that I have something called sticky note and it puts a cute virtual yellow postit on the desktop.

12. I'm not really down and with it...I'm only 'tending to be from the hood.

13. lilachardy

14. lilachard

15. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

I used it a few times on my PGCE to see what it was like and to make some links/notes about the research project.
    Is it essential? Nope. I use Publisher a lot more than OneNote...

16. I use it a lot. It's basically like paper folders but electronic. What I find really great about it is that you can publish your OneNote folders as PDFs so I get all of my resources/planning/SOWs etc done on OneNote and then just zap them across to the VLE or manager or whatever. It's worth experimenting (use the Help tab) because there's a lot more to it than initially meets the eye.

17. ian60

ian60 New commenter

Thank you poemeelectronique, that sounds interesting and useful.
    Maybe I should give it more time

18. Ive used it a few times but as a Smart Notebook while working from home and then using at work but no comparison. Im just a bit anti ppt in class as it always reminds me of the "death by ppt" meetings I continuously am forced to sit through.
    Lol.
    However the above posters notes about resources etc and sending to VLE sounds interesting. Mus experiment

19. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I used OneNote when researching a Project Management qual. It's essentially an information collection system presented as tabbed file pages that allows you to quickly assemble store and shuffle info from lots of different sources. You can jot notes, embed documents, copy and paste webpages and put sticky notes on them, etc. There is probably more, but the novelty wore off after my qual and I haven't used it again.

20. http://www.onenotehelp.com/2010/04/06/how-to-organize-stuff-in-onenote/
    Watched this video just now. In theory it seems like a good idea...better than constantly going through a million folders on hard drive to find a certain doc but in practice prob more effort that its worth, Will play around with it and see what happens