1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use Inspire Maths in Year 6?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Sebmc, Nov 26, 2017.

1. Sebmc

Sebmc New commenter

I am new to teaching maths in Year 6. We started using Inspire Maths across the school in September '16 and although I was initially sceptical about its prescriptive approach, I find the pupils enjoy the challenge. My problem is that it doesn't match up to what is going to be assessed in the SATs and I feel that we are wasting time that we should be spending working on SATs material as there is huge pressure to raise the attainment of our pupils in maths. Does anyone have any experience of using Inspire Maths in Year 6 and can you offer any advice please?

2. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Preparing students for SATs goes no way at all in raising attainment of students. I don't know Inspire Maths, but if it keeps Primary teachers away from SATs boosting, then I'd say it must be a good thing. Focus on the basics, and once they've got those without blinking an eye, move on to problem solving.

3. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

Hi - I know a little about these books; I can reassure you that if they can cope with Inspire 6, they will sail through their SATS!

owarman likes this.
  4. J.Myhill

J.Myhill New commenter

Hi there,

We use Inspire across the whole school. There is an Inspire document which provides a suggested path for both Year 2 and Year 6 which can help to deal with coverage. Our teachers use materials from both Book 5 and Book 6 to access the Year 6 curriculum along with plenty of SAT's question practice. The materials can be challenging, but the kids seem to enjoy this.