1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use Big Books for children's work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jul 31, 2011.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And if you do use Big Books can you give me any tips? I don't really want to use them (at the moment) for the whole child led planning thing of floor books, more just to display what we have done in class. I think using them will mean our lessons can be more practical and talk based and less about children writing, but wondered if anyone has any good ideas or examples, or just experience in general?

Much appreciated.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And if you do use Big Books can you give me any tips? I don't really want to use them (at the moment) for the whole child led planning thing of floor books, more just to display what we have done in class. I think using them will mean our lessons can be more practical and talk based and less about children writing, but wondered if anyone has any good ideas or examples, or just experience in general?

Much appreciated.

3. Hothead60

Hothead60 New commenter

I teach Y5/6 and sometimes use them for science because I usually prefer to give the children more time to do things, ask questions and find answers than spend time recording what they have done. The good point was that it made a good resource for revision when we had to do science SATs. I include lots of photographs and captions. Where children have made graphs and charts of their results, I would write questions about them and that sort of thing. I love the end result and try and get the children to do as much as possible, but if you want a really attractive book that the children will want to look at it, does take a fair bit of time to do. I buy really big drawing paper pads from The Works.
    What is the 'child led planning thing of floor books'???

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

The child led planning is more EYFS where children plan what they want to do that week and use the book to show their discussions as well as work. Not very sure about it, but as it isn't what I'm looking for I've not really researched it. However they are apparently called 'floor books'.

I'm hoping for photos and captions as well as questions from me and answers from them. Maybe (as I will have year 2) class or group created results charts and graphs.

Someone mentioned using the display pocket books you can get. I'm thinking this might be better if I can find some in A3 or A2 size. Then mistakes can be changed and work rearranged easily.

5. They have a3 display books in The Works in Cornmarket for £2.99. Can't believe I just told you that after I forgot to pick a couple up today lol

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oooo might have to go tomorrow then.....

7. Fight you for them [​IMG]

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Ahhh you'll be ok, I'm not going today. Need to pack for holiday.

Hopefully they'll have a delivery before I get back.

But looking at the website they do have spiral bound A2 art books with just 15 pages. I might need to think about those instead. Going to meet my year team colleague in the city after my hols and we'll decide together!