1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you use artefacts in your history lessons?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by teachers-pet, Feb 6, 2008.

1. teachers-pet

teachers-pet New commenter

Hello!

I'm in my 4th year of training currently researching my disseratation and would appreciate any comments you have on the subjct!

I'm looking at how teachers use artefacts in their history lessons. How often do you use artefacts? Where do you get them from? If you don't use them, why is?

Thanks in advance!

2. teachers-pet

Hello!

I'm in my 4th year of training currently researching my disseratation and would appreciate any comments you have on the subjct!

I'm looking at how teachers use artefacts in their history lessons. How often do you use artefacts? Where do you get them from? If you don't use them, why is?

Thanks in advance!

3. Sometimes children are able to bring in artefacts from grandparents etc e.g. army uniforms, gas masks. This kind of ends up being a show-and-tell type session, where the kid explains what they know and I elaborate on the historical detail. Other than that I use no artefacts as we have none.

4. teachers-pet

I thought that could be an issue!

I am going to ask schools in my area whether they ever borrow artefacts from museums or local authorities.

A big issue regarding bringing things in from home in my local area is that most children's families didn't live here during the war. They don't have ration books, gas masks etc. The things they could bring in don't usually match topics in schools.

5. We used to borrow them from local museum but it was expensive and often you only one or two items in the box were actually useful.

Now we've made our own sets using replicas from catalogues like TTS and history in evidence. We also borrow from children if they have something useful.

6. A former colleague once told me a story of how one of ehr class bought in an artefact from WW2. They displayed it, drew it etc. It turns out it was a live bomb and they had to call in the bomb squad who detonated it in the Reception's sand pit!

7. teachers-pet

ha ha oops!

8. We can borrow boxes of lovely artefacts from our local museum (free, just has to be collected) and topic boxes with a few artefacts in from local library (free too). We also put a request out on local radio for resources from people in the local area (which we used to put on a 'museum for a day' based on WW2). The school has a few replicas of items for topics we do regularly. I also use my own collection of odd bits and pieces bought from junk shops whilst on my travels.

9. We currently have a box on loan from a local museum. TOYS FROM THE PAST. Going to get another one on its return HOMES LONG AGO. Children seem to enjoy it and provides additional artefacts to the ones we have at school. Great idea! Class are loving it! Year 1s!

10. I am doing toys in our history. I brought in some of my mother's old toys. They adored comparing her 60-year old teddy to their class teddy. You should have seen their faces! Couldn't have had the same impact without a real teddy to see in the flesh.

When we did homes, the children went to see old buildings and they had a day where they explored old objects from the home in different periods. They spent time guessing what things were for before we told them. That was really interesting. Apparently a butter pat is a victorian hair straightener...!
    We got those from the museum. For free.

Depends what it is though. If you're doing transport you wouldn't prob be able to bring in the real thing but you can visit them in museums etc.

11. Often a day trip to an organised venue can be an ideal opportunity to see artefacts as they are geared up to have what is needed.
    I must say museum loans is the best, old, **** bits of roman pottery - the kids think they're priceless!!
    I'm a sucker for trawling round car boot sales (family on tow) for Victorian artefacts, Ebay is pretty good for coins etc
    I also look at census records with Victorians - I'm subscribed to ancestry website, fortunate!
    OOh I love artefact sharing!!!

12. The library and museum services had free loan boxes when I was back in the UK. We also collected artefacts from parents/grandparents.
    One other source - I used to go metal detecting and was a member of a Detecting Club. Often people there would lend me items to share with my class. Buckles, coins, pottery, jewellery as well as odd bits from furniture etc. which the children loved trying to figure out what they were.

13. We often got free artifact boxes for our classes. I recall doing a trip to Egypt and stocking that box in my last school, and to the US, to stock an RE box, which was fairly bereft of Judaica resources.

Here's a link to someone who has done a study you might be interested in. Not sure how "valid" this research is, but it's something.

http://www.readingmuseum.org.uk/handson/pdf/Artefacts_Pri...

14. teachers-pet

Thank you for your comments!

And also for the link!

I think I'm going to go into a few schools to see how children progress with the way they work with artefacts...

the types of questions, types of answers etc etc!

I've got so many good ideas for next year whilst doing this research!

Can't wait till I have my own class :D

15. martianpoolwoman

martianpoolwoman New commenter

I think use of artefacts either genuine or replica is very important in History teaching. The children gain enormously from it . It s so difficult for them to equate out modern techno age to artefacts from the past. I always ask them to decide what we would use nowadays in comparison.
    Many museums have a free artefact loan system with a breakage policy and deposit . It's all a matter of collection. So try there first of all.
    However, if you can't find a museum close by then if you are Greater Manchester , Preston or Fylde (WW2 ) ''History Services'' often have artefact hire to KS2 for WW2, Britain since 1948 , Vikings and Ancient Egypt. It s about £20 a week or £5.00 a day plus refundable deposit for breakages.
    http://historyservices.webeden.co.uk
    Marti

16. littlelebowski

littlelebowski New commenter

Artefacts provide an important context for children. I have borrowed lots of brilliant resources from my local museum and the lessons went down really well. I borrowed an evacuee's suitcase and used a story from the TES resources about a missing toy and I borrowed a box of 'mystery' objects from the museum and the children had to try to work out what they might have been used for. This was one of my favourite lessons ever and the children were completely engaged in their investigating. Their ideas were wonderful - one child thought a pair of bellows might have been a hairdryer 'from when they didn't have electricity'! We have looked at and handled old teddy bears and toys in another lesson. We also took part in a museum project where schools did creative work around an artefact and created their own artefacts.

17. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

We are spoiled by having two museums that supply loan boxes and provide teaching sessions both on their premises and at school. Their artefacts are superb, teaching notes are supplied and their outreach is amazing. Unfortunately (and I'm sure this is very common) everything is geared to the old QCA units so we find ourselves sticking with the bones of them just so we are well resourced.