1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think your school will offer on site and online learning in September?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by CabbageWhite20, May 28, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

I don’t know if we will. Hopefully the 14 day quarantine rule will be (safely) relaxed so overseas pupils can return. One of the many variables in terms of parent confidence will probably be if and how tightly the ‘local lockdown’ policy is needed.
    We’ve got ourselves in a situation where we are delivering a very good live online timetable, but for a number of reasons it would be complicated for us to offer that at the same time as ‘normal’ on site teaching. It wouldn’t be impossible but it would be expensive to setup and difficult to do well. The plan for the Y6 who come in is that they will access online lessons on site.

2. CabbageWhite20

I should have said - offering both on and off site not as a mandatory thing because of recommendations on the number of students in school, I meant as an option where parents could effectively choose (though might be choosing because they were overseas, had a family member who was isolating etc rather than just preference ).

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don 't know for us. I think we may have shot ourselves in the foot a little with excellent online learning that will continue during next half term. Therefore there is little incentive for parents to send their children back to work.

I don't think we could manage to continue both from September when all classes are back and all teachers needed for their usual timetables.

We'll see though...wouldn't rule it out.

steely1, Boardingmaster and Ro13 like this.
  4. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Same with our school can't rule anything out, but equally will be very hard in small classrooms. I suppose the next half term will give us some hints as to how September might work o_O

5. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I really hope we are back in full, I can barely bring myself to get back in front of the computer for the final few weeks of this year, but if I were a betting man I would say we will probably be offering a split service. I have heard rumours of plans for a rolling programme of some yeargroups in for a few weeks at a time with the rest at home, but to be fair we still don’t even know if yr10 and 12 are coming back this year. For schools doing the mix, do you think it will be staffed as teachers teaching their timetable, probably from their classroom, as a mixed economy of online and in person, or some staff online and some staff in person? I have heard different stories on this front. Very much hoping for the latter and to be an “in person” teacher!

6. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

We are being told to expect both online and live. Whether that means days in or out or dedicated staff for each I don’t know, For larger subjects the latter might be more possible.

steely1 likes this.
  7. SiriusB

SiriusB New commenter

It is scary to think that things may still be like this in September. I’m about to move to a full boarding school, with very few day pupils. How would that even work there? A rhetorical question of course, as no one has an answer.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

Those of us back this half term are teaching our online lessons in our classrooms to those at home, while also managing those children in the classroom.
    Remains to be seen how well this works.

Boardingmaster and steely1 like this.
  9. CabbageWhite20

May I ask how you will do this? Will you actually video yourself doing the live input to your class then ‘send’ everyone off to get on? Is your classroom all equipped with the camera/microphone to make this work?

10. caterpillartobutterfly

The theory is that we teach to our laptops and the children in school (a tiny minority at the moment) follow on their own laptops and do what the children at home are doing.

Years 1-6 currently do an input for maths, English and topic at various points during the day and children remain online for more help or go off and complete computer based tasks by themselves. So I can sort of see how this works with some children in school with a laptop...sort of.

EYFS currently do three activities a day (broadly maths, English, topic...but not necessarily) and children are sat at home with an adult beside them to complete assist them to complete the practical task more or less within the 15-20 mins live session. I can't see how this will work..,

steely1 likes this.
  11. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I have heard rumours from friends at other boarding schools that their schools are looking into hiring their own covid testing lab/team for september. Anyone on here doing this? Seems a good idea to me, though I am not sure what we would do with our day pupils

12. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Money talks! So if there are a number of students who cannot or are unwilling to attend school, then to justify collecting fees online learning will be offered.

For the teachers delivering hybrid: on site and online learning will be extremely demanding, whilst I am sure they will get lots of sympathy from management, I am sure the underlying message will be make it work if you want to be paid.

drvs and steely1 like this.
  13. caterpillartobutterfly

It's what we in prep are doing at the moment and it is exactly like this! :)

steely1 likes this.
  14. Ro13

Ro13 Occasional commenter

Yeah same here, since Easter & it is exhausting, but on a plus we are still breaking up on 10th July :)

15. steely1

steely1 Occasional commenter

Yes - you've described exactly what it is like in my school, and what I imagine will continue to be the case in September.

16. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Yup. There will be some mobility in the prep workforce next year methinks, leadership teams are burning bridges at quite a rate.

17. CabbageWhite20

Our numbers are such that the teaching can be split - some teachers wholly on site and others remaining at home teaching online. A few teachers are doing both, but never simultaneously. They are teaching online from empty classrooms.
    As far as September goes - no idea how that will work. As long as people want online I’m sure the school will provide it, but I imagine if numbers are low it would be ‘here’s the work for the week’ and some check-in style video calls rather than actual live teaching. I don’t actually know though.

18. caterpillartobutterfly

Now that would be just fine...

Boardingmaster likes this.
  19. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I have wondered whether any independent schools will consider going into the online schooling sector, as a separate strand to their face-to-face offer. I suspect there would be interest, from those who have discovered that working at home quite suits their child, and from those who hanker after private education but couldn't afford it or don't have any available locally. Apparently one of the existing online schools is massively increasing its charges. Presumably those using them at the moment are technically home-schooled; maybe regulation will have to follow at some point.

20. CabbageWhite20

I have wondered this too. All of the *Insert public school name here* Beijing etc. overseas arms might not be such a lucrative option for a bit. I imagine online schooling would be complicated to set up initially in terms of safeguarding, regulations etc. but could then be quite successful.