1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think you might be one of the "usual suspects"?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by modelmaker, Jul 4, 2020.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

The use of this term by a regular forum member today intrigued me. Who are "The usual suspects"? Is it some sort of clique? Might it be the sort who take a wet the floor of Conservative club toilets when they've had a few too many?

Maybe it's the name of a pop group who gained notoriety for recording songs that advocated gay marriage, world peace, BLM and asking what on earth has gone on since the rise of right wing politics.

It's the sort of term I'd expect to hear from a curtain twitcher in charge of a neighbourhood watch scheme, but I could well be as wrong as I've been about Brexit being an absolute fiasco, which as we all know can't possible be true, because our government told us it was as fully in control of Brexit as it has been with the Covid-19 crisis.

It's time for the "usual suspects" to put their hands up and admit to being Kremlin-controlled Marxists.

Perhaps too, a good time for rabid Brexiters and Tory party rimmers to own up to what it is that motivates them, so we can build a true of who the "Usual Suspects" are.

Don't be shy. Are you one of the Usual Suspects?

Alice K and ajrowing like this.
  2. WB

WB Lead commenter

Context is everything.

In the context of posters who talk utter ******** it's you.

xmal, Kandahar, alex_teccy and 3 others like this.
  3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well, that counts me out.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

"It's time for the "usual suspects" to put their hands up and admit to being Kremlin-controlled Marxists".
    I won't be putting my hand up for that.

Oscillatingass and Nealswife like this.
  5. modelmaker

modelmaker Senior commenter

I feel you need to go back to school, @WB.

Many posters on here get why I post
    For satircal purposes.

To tell the truth, it astonishes me why you, as a member who joined in 2002 and has such a small post count since then would expect to be taken any more seriously than I would expect to. You must surely imagine everyone is as stupid as you want to make out you are.

You didn't answer the question though. Are you one of the usual suspects? I think you could be, but if you wish to, you can prove me wrong.

monicabilongame and ajrowing like this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's a phrase I've seen used several times over a few months now. Using the phrase seems to be a way of signifying yourself as being a part of a particular clique, the raising of a fist for comrades to see.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Here they are:

modelmaker likes this.
  8. Nealswife

Nealswife Occasional commenter

Being fairly new here, I have wondered about some of the connections and commenters?

Some OPs use secret code words,,... Is there some sort of initiation you have to pass to part of a clique?

9. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Secret code words? Come again?

To be part of the clique, I think you have to know gene.

10. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

The best way to qualify is to write very long rambling posts that make sense in some parts but then go off on various tangents so the reader comes to the conclusion that he/she has lost a part of their life they will never get back. Use of multi quote is also an important element but is not compulsory.

11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

What in the biblical sense? I hasten to add I don't know gene in any sense.

12. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Why would you think even for a minute that I might know this gene creature in the biblical sense?

Yuck

ilovesooty likes this.
  13. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

14. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Oh for crying out loud.

15. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Using the phrase "usual suspects" confirms that you know your Casablanca:

Captain Louis Renaud: "Major Strasser has been shot. Round up the usual suspects".​

(Renaud, the Vichy French police inspector, says this in order to appear to be acting responsibly, but in fact he knows that the usual crooks can't be to blame because he saw Humphrey Bogart pull the trigger only moments earlier.)

I think that's the origin of the phrase, unless anyone knows otherwise.

lexus300, Kandahar, DrLinus and 2 others like this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

The usual suspects are who any poster says they are.
    For me, "the usual suspects" are the 4-chan boys who pepper these boards. I have some of them on snooze. There are other "usual suspects" but meh. You can't snooze 'em all. If you did none of the threads would make sense.

17. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

We're probably all someone's "usual suspect".
    It's like that moment of enlightenment when it dawns on you that oh, I'm the a-hole in this scenario...although I could name several posters who have never had that epiphany in their lives, haha.

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

We’re all Keyser Söze :D

19. ajrowing

ajrowing Lead commenter

Please sir, can I be one of the Usual Suspects.
    Although I think you are confused. The Kremlin wouldn't want Marxists, they are far more likely to employ apparently rabid Brexiteers as the aims as far as I can tell of the Kremlin are to destablise Western democracies and Brexit certainly does that. Perhaps particularly those who post pro Brexit stuff but then can't explain and defend the position they have adopted.

20. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

I have increasingly had the impression that one poster is behind several relatively recent accounts. I don’t for one moment say that this is so, only that is how it seems to me when reading some of the threads. Someone starts an interesting post, which is then aggressively hijacked by a predictable few to suit a specific agenda. Valid points that challenge that agenda are ignored and spurious claims made. It has changed this forum from somewhere where lively and informed discussions could be had, to somewhere where the level of the ‘you smell’ playground response to alternative points of view dominates. It has made responding to threads seem a pointless waste of time as genuine discussion and setting out of different opinions has been swamped by some posters who appear to have an almost Pavlovian response to certain topics. It would be wonderful if we could have the Opinion forum back. At least that would allow Personal to be somewhere we could have some respite from from the constant agenda-pushing.
    To anticipate some criticism of this post, I don’t want Opinion to be somewhere where everyone agrees with my opinion. That would be too dull for words. I would like it to go back to being a place of lively, informed and reasoned discussion.