1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think this would be allowed in a doctors surgery?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by daydreamer86, Jun 14, 2011.

1. I have a mole removal procedure tomorrow morning which will involve the use of local anaesthetic. Like a lot of people, I am needle phobic and have never had an injection alone yet as I always ask people to come in with me as I am so terrified of them and need somebody to take my mind off it (stupid for a woman in her mid twenties, I know). However, tomorrow there is nobody to come in with me. Do you think the staff at the doctors surgery will be able to allow me to use my IPod music to distract me from the needle? My boyfriend seems to think they might be a bit funny about contamination of the equipment but I can't see why they would as it's not like it's an Intensive Care Unit or anything. Has anyone else done something like this before and been allowed to do it?

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I've had far more major operations than that, and not even had to cover my clothing.
    I imagine they'll be fine with it, so long as you can still hear them clearly.

3. I had moles removed when I was 17. They had to be surgically removed as freezing wouldn't work. I took my boyfriend in to hold my hand and listened to music while it was all going on!

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I listened to my ipod throughout surgery to remove a tumor from my leg. It was no problem.

5. Thanks for the replies everybody. I have had a mole removal surgery before but I had the numbing cream put on my hand an hour before the actual anaesthetic injection so it wasn't too bad. It's not even the pain of the injection (although I do have a very low pain threshold) but it's just the anticipation of it. I also had 3 people in the room the last time I had a mole removed-I was 14 years old and had the surgeon, his assistant and my mother in the room with me. My mother reckons I will actually be better on my own so hopefully my IPod will be enough to distract me as I don't want them to cancel it due to my nerves!

6. I ended up not using it anyway as the doctor had a really nice nurse helping him so I didn't feel the need for the music even though I had to be injected twice as the local anaesthetic wasn't strong enough the first time! Now all is done other than an appointment next Friday to remove the stitches. I have a nice inch long scar which hopefully will have faded by the time I go to Tenerife in August (the operation was on the side of my knee so the scar wound will be obvious in a swimming costume). Thank you for your advice and support everybody. I will definitely consider using an IPod if there is not a reassuring nurse around if I have to go through a similar procedure again.

7. Phew, I initially read you post as 'nine inch long scar' rather than 'nice' !!

8. And me! I've only just seen this and was going to say that I had my melanoma removed under a local anaesthetic at a hospital, and requested that the doctor did not give me a running commentary (I know some patients like it but I'd rather not know). She said she would have to speak to her nurse from time to time so gave me some totally non-sterile headphones with someone else's long blonde hairs hanging off them and I had to listen to Michael Buble instead!

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I think dentists should provide them to dim the horrible sound of the drill.

10. Pandora Peroxide

Pandora Peroxide New commenter

I have had 2 moles removed - one surgically from my armpit, requiring 3 stitches, which was uncomfortable for a few days afterwards. The second was done by numbing the mole and then using a cauterising tool to cut it off - a little "heat" later in the day but no problems. I was in and out so quickly I wouldn't have had chance for much music listening but I doubt sterility would be an issue as I had to tell the Dr doing my first to put gloves on before he began to touch me!

11. When I had mine removed from my back the doctor regalled me with tales of his tragically bad school uniform he'd had to wear as a kid for some strange reason.

12. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

For some reason, people think teachers want to know what it was like for them at school.
    They like to tell me they don't know their tables, or that their teacher used to throw the rubber at them.