1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think this really deserved a sacking?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by bizent, Jan 11, 2011.

1. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

2. You could join the discussion over on opinion - teaching....fool's game

3. bizent

bizent Lead commenter

Yikes...a trip over to Opinion - that place scares the hell out of me...

4. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Why? A discussion on this topic on Opinion surely shouldn't be "scary".

5. It seems a bit odd (ok, I think they should have been wearing protective gear) but if I have read correctly - the parents had consented? As he seems to have been cleared of that charge?
    But then I am confused as it says he says "it was a logical extension of a lesson" - so when did he get the parental consent?

6. Really? To sledge down a small slope? I don't think I've ever seen a kid sledging with protective gear. If there is nothing to bang into, what can go wrong?

7. Plenty can go wrong, even on a "small" slope.
    But aside from that, which is just my personal opinion, I am still confused about the "parental consent" bit.

8. Milkandchalk

Milkandchalk New commenter

It's bloody sledging!! I have never worn nor can I think of anyone who wears 'protective gear' whilst sledging.
    If this is the direction Health and Safety is going then we are bringing up a nation of cotton wool wrapped wimps who will never EVER learn to take a risk or do anything other than sit infront of their Xboxes playing Black Ops.
    What next? Children under 8 shouldn't use scissors? All work to be done on slate to prevent papercuts? Lets not walk upstairs in case we fall down?
    Pathetic

9. Plenty have died via sledging.
    You wouldn't inline skate without protective gear either.
    Or ride a horse.
    Or sit on a motorbike.
    I don't think it is that bad to include sledging.
    But I am still wondering about the parental consent.

10. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

As I read it, he said he didn't need parental consent because he judged that it wasn't risky and because it was within the school grounds and day. He was cleared of that particular charge.
    These were GCSE students, too- so had to have been at least 14 at the time. To me the case looks like a massive over-reaction- I agree with M&C. I can remember in my primary playground everyone making and using an ice slide in cold weather down the moderate-sloped-but-cement-hard playground surface and no-one being told to stop- much more likely to result in a broken bone of some sort than a little sledge on snow-covered grass...

11. ah, that would make sense.
    Although did it not say it was outside of school hours...?

12. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I'd need to go back and re-read but I thought it was at the end of that lesson where they'd examined the sledge with the focus on its design.

13. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

I think that everybody is focusing too much on the "activity" (sledging). The charges that were upheld related to:
    1) his ignoring a direction from the Headteacher who had specifically ruled no snow play
    2) his ignoring of the advice of colleagues
    3) his denial of the activity when first questioned by the Head.
    I think, at the very least, his professional conduct could be questioned on these issues.

14. That makes more sense Crowbob. I know of people who would do things like this and I can see that it could well be one in a long line of problems.