1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think this is too much?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hobbes 1, Dec 29, 2010.

1. that is not too many animals at all! I am being called the Mad Cat Lady at the moment as my husband and I have currently got 8 rescue cats, some of which are now our own but some are being fostered. At one point we had 13, as we had 8 kittens who were being fostered, v small and had been abandoned - 2 different litters. Sadly 4 died, all with the same symptoms, but we still tried to help.
    Some people have cats who don't care where their human companions are in the house and are happy to be independent. I wish! Our 8 have to be wherever we are!! we lock them out of the bedroom at night so we can get a decent night's sleep but when we open the door in the morning they race in to say hello and try hard to trip us up in the process!
    Hey ho - some of my friends don't get it and that's fine - they make 'jokes' and say 'funny' things but I don't see them rescuing animals who need a home...

I hope you continue to enjoy your animals and your home in just the way you want - after all, how many times a year does your family stay with you?

2. Doesn't matter how many pets you have. What does matter is using 'much' instead of 'many'. Pets are discrete quantities. Much is used for continuous quantities.

Cheers

3. My sister at one point had 3 dogs and 11-12 cats (i lost count) in a fairly small house, so three sounds fine! I volunteer at a rescue centre and I think it's great that you've taken cats from there and not a pet shop! The local shops here stopped selling kittens before Christmas and actually advised people to go the pet haven instead which was incredible of them!
    Good on you, and don't listen to anyone else!

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

I have never seen a shop selling kittens or puppies.
    I didn't know you could actually buy them in pet shops!

5. i'm in Oz...so maybe it's different here? kittens in pet shop all year round, but stops a month before Christmas...it's a rural town/city so they're just trying to do the right thing.....

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Perhaps your father is trying to be funny (haha) and failing? My own father probably thinks I'm a little odd for not having any pets but he's learnt to shut up ;)
    I'd be wondering if he feels entirely comfortable in your house, does he visit often or is it a once a year trip? If it's the latter then I'd certainly give him the benefit of the doubt, if it's the former then I'd suggest to him that he keeps his opinions to himself as the subject is upsetting you. If he loves you then he will. Sadly there some men of a certain age (note some and certain) that believe that they have a right to comment on everything.

7. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

For the record:
    Just as there are some women of a certain age who believe that they have a right to comment :)