1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think the Queen cooks?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, May 8, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

From what I've seen in TV progs, the DofE cooks at BBQ's and I'm sure the Queen cooked when they were first married and lived in Malta as a normal RN couple.

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Yes, I've seen this. This is about as much cooking as Mr EG does as well - the finely tuned skill of burning something on the outside and leaving it completely raw in the middle!
    I'm sure I read somewhere before that she did.
    As for getting fed up of eating rich food, I'm sure she can arrange to call down to the kitchens and ask for a poached egg on toast or something.

3. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I wonder if she uses poach pods or poach pouches? [​IMG]

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I wonder what swans' necks taste like? I wonder if they stuff them, maybe with confit of swan's livers and hearts, and then serve them sliced, with toasted brioche and a chilled Sauternes, or whether they merely stick them in a baguette with a bit of squeezy mustard and ketchup, like a posh hot dog.

5. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

PMSL![​IMG]

6. [​IMG]

7. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I have to confess, I didn't intially read DofE as being the Joke of Edinburgh and instead pondered why the Dept. of the Environment had been called in to man the barbecue.

8. I am sure I have read that in their private flat, the Queen cooks.
    Probably not as often as we do, but I don't think she is really for all that pomp and ceremony every evening.
    I bet you she has some stuff from Lakeland, as well.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I wonder if she gets as excited by their catalogue as we do?

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I wonder if she gets as excited by their catalogue as we do?

11. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I also have visions of her with the telly in the kitchen, trying to keep up with Jamie Oliver's 30 Minute Meals, making an unholy mess, and swearing.
    Whilst Pip calmly pours himself another large gin and searches through the drawer with the takeaway menus in...

12. modelmaker

I'm hoping the BBC can persade her to present her own cookery programme, drawing on her dining experiences from around the globe. You wouldn't expect to see her chopping up onions and the like with her knighting sword, just directing the footmen how the meals are to be cooked.
    "And the thing to ensure when cooking a whole deer, is to make sure you remove all the shot. There, you see where Philip caught the animal? You need to dig all these bits out... And don't throw the ears away either. They can be dried out and your corgis will go mad over them. It keeps them quiet for a good half hour."

13. I guess you are not a fan of the royal family, MM?

14. Definitely! The card you made sounds wonderful and far, far superior to any shop bought one. In fact, the whole day and evening sound wonderful[​IMG]

15. modelmaker

I wish them no harm. All public figures are there for the purpose of satire.

16. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I understand that she has a lot of tupperware...

17. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Very good, Si.

18. Those pics that were in the papers a few years ago certainly suggested that she does.
    I think after all the state banquets and visits abroad you would probably want something simple on quieter days. Whether or not she cooks it herself is another question.