1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think schools will need supply whilst the coronavirus is about?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Supplygirl111, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Supplygirl111

Supplygirl111 New commenter

Really worried about all our futures.
    So, if schools were to open in phases, i'm guessing we wouldnt be needed as i'm guessing staff wouldn't be in full-time?

Would schools hold a 'no visitors policy' so wouldnt accept supply?

Are we basically not getting work for a while?

Any opinions? So many questions keeping me up at night

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  2. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

No one knows the answers because nothing has happened yet. I would advise to not catastrophise and to concentrate on the present moment to stay focused and centred.

Nobody could answer you because no one knows.

MathMan1, HS65, abwdSTEM and 3 others like this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

So many variables but one I expect could happen is many teachers will choose not to go back - either retire or just quit. Anyone taking time off teaching (not have the usual class and plans, meetings) becomes acutely aware of how much the work stays with them mentally and how little free time (mentally free of the job) they have.

The lockdown awakens them to a world outside of teaching and OK a new set of worries - but the job itself becomes very, very hard to go back to.

If councils/schools do not demand teachers are tested, it is unlikely they will demand supply teachers are. Can't see they will as you really need to be tested every 3 weeks to be sure you are OK.

It is another reason teachers need to be part of the new arrangements and not just the managers. Smaller classes will lead to calls for work in other areas by teachers and/or fewer staff. TAs could be in more trouble than supply teachers.

Orchid2457 and pepper5 like this.
  4. sharon7482

sharon7482 Occasional commenter

Smaller classes will also lead to more shifts, longer days etc which could mean more teachers needed over the day in two shifts. More teachers needed. And yes as in many many careers at the moment lots won't go back and as in all times there will be new careers and areas of work becoming more apparent as this virus ends.

And yes. When you don't teacher, and I did supply this year to regain a life of my own you realise that no matter what form of teaching you do you don't have time. I am just beginning now to realise how frazzled I always looked. I always thought it was because I couldn't be bothered and now I realise I was just exhaunted. Even my hair is in better shape.

Orchid2457 and pepper5 like this.
  5. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I have to agree with all the comments made and there is a further factor to consider and the numbers attending secondary is increasing year in year out, to the extent that the local in which I live is looking to build to build two new secondary schools. So combine this with the impossible task of ensuring social distancing in schools, teachers becoming sick, those who decide they do not need the stress then there may be a need for supply to come into schools. Some schools may decide to use supply staff they know and trust, rather then get supply in on a random basis.

The fact is no one knows what is going to happen and schools are in the dark as much as we are, my advice is take each day at a time and what happens, happens.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I agree - what happens in the rest of this academic year in particular is a complete lottery.

7. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

If social distancing is to be respected, the class sizes will need to be smaller. Problem with that is most schools don't have lots of spare rooms to spread kids out with extra teachers.

I've heard mention of a 'shift' kind of system being considered in some parts, so that kids aren't all on campus at the same time. That would mean extra teachers needed.

I agree with peakster, it's completely unpredictable and not just for this term, but for the foreseeable future.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I also think that the school day will (initially at least) extended or the kids will come in on a sort of rota. I cannot see whole school populations being in at the same time until September at the earliest.

But we'll see.

9. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

There are also absences due to shielding and symptomatic self-isolation...I was due to stop a short term placement just before lockdown but was asked to stay longer to cover. Not needed at the moment...

Before this I felt future for Supply was very bleak. I suspect schools will be even more short of funding next year. Now I think chances of finding alternatives at my age are even bleaker...

On the bright side I think there’s hope for a more balanced curriculum for pupils. Maybe even a bit of an outside school life for teachers. I think recruitment will be very difficult if it’s still 60 hours weeks for bottom of main scale pay scale...

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Schools will be very short of money next year - we have already had one redundancy announced in my department.

Over the last few weeks many teachers at both ends of the experience spectrum will have had time to think about their options and futures. I'm guessing many at the retirement end will bring their retirements closer and many at the beginning will think about getting out.

I am in the former group and I have thought about this a lot recently and have come to a decision about what I intend to do.

11. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I am in the key worker kids teaching rota for the school I began a stint with before the lockdown. It isn't as many hours as it would have been but still earning. It does mean I can't be furloughed though. Even if schools return they will still have vulnerable staff who may not be able to return and will need cover.

12. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I think the burnout rate will accelerate because it is going to be a nightmare getting all those students back on track. Many are too accustomed to playing video games, etc at home. Many will also be restless and would have forgotten about proper conduct in public and in the classroom. Meetings galore which will lead to teachers not having time to prep for their own lessons. I expect more 'bright ideas' which will lead to more money being spent on senior staff, meetings, micromanagement, etc. I would not want to return to that. Like I said in another post, I expect by June or sometime in August and Sept, desperate agencies will be phoning, but unfortunately (for them), I won't be answering.

13. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

a1976

I do not blame you for not going back.

If an agency called me today and offered £1000 per day, I would not go.

Supply was hard enough before but I can't imagine being in a class as a supply teacher for all the reasons you state and more.

abwdSTEM and BertieBassett2 like this.
  14. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

So, if schools do return on a phased basis does that mean that furlough for supply teachers will be stopped -even if schools decide they don’t need us? Asking for a friend....

pepper5 and gingerhobo48 like this.
  15. gingerhobo48

gingerhobo48 Star commenter

Good question:D.

pepper5 likes this.
  16. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Oh Peakster! Do tell...

gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  17. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

I agree with what's been said, but here's a couple of things no one has mentioned yet.

I haven't done any online "teaching" but others have. If one of the main aims of the govt is to cut public education funding, then surely not having to pay teachers (or at least many less) to physically stand in front of a class, by using some form.of remote learning, will be massively cheaper. Plus, using "official" materials/ machines will eliminate the possibility of any leftie teacher types questioning the status quo or sowing seeds of discontent.

Also, the financial effect of the virus should in no way be underestimated. Remember the banking crisis and how this was used an excuse for austerity to hammer the people into the ground? This time it will be much, much worse. There will be mass unemployment and many will be desperate for ANY paid work. Even if it is dangerous.

A dark and pessimistic vision I know, and I wish I felt differently, but this is how I see things now.

pepper5 likes this.
  18. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have decided to retire in Summer 2022 - so two more years after this one.

Gives me a couple of years to develop one or two other things I'd like to do.

19. steviepal

steviepal Occasional commenter

"Remember the banking crisis and how this was used an excuse for austerity to hammer the people into the ground? This time it will be much, much worse".

I tend to agree with you. Wish I didn't.

Yoda- and pepper5 like this.
  20. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Yes when jobs are scarce you do get a taken advantage of unless you have an escape route.

MathMan1, steviepal and tonymars like this.