1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think I should buy a bungalow?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Dec 27, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I have found an old bungalow with a huge garden about 40 minutes max from where I now live. Should I buy it and live in a village (although not very rural, a bit dormitory town). It needs lots of work doing on it.
    Answers on a post card please.

2. I would!
    I grew up in a bungalow and loved it!
    When I bought my house, I looked at one, but it needed a lot of work doing to it, and I didn't have the finances for it. Wish I had now!
    If youv'e got the money to do it up, go for it!

3. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If you're planning to live in it until you're old and wobbly, yes. It'll be easier to get around.

I grew up in a bungalow and always enjoyed living in one - I think stairs are overrated.

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Yes i would but not without a full survey....although you have one level less therecan still be a lot wrong...check it has not restrictive covenant on it.eg only for agricultural workers.
    The land is nice now,but remember unless your a glutton for hard work then the garden will become too much as you grow old......even if you have grand ideas
    Rememeber to look at shops, transport links..especially as you grow older.
    Other than that i have my eye on a nice bungalow in shropshire...... but wife isnt ready to move yet!

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Having lived most of my life in bungalows, they're definitely easier than houses with stairs if there are any health issues. No trudging vaccuum cleaners up/ down or stretching halfway to reach (I have lived in houses too!)
    Small bungalow and large garden is not such a good mix however, for resale value, if you might move at some point. Bungalow easy to manage as one gets older, but large garden mor difficult.
    Depends really on you. Never worried me, but then I'm used to them.

7. But it would be perfect for me! That's what we're looking for. But to no avail.....

8. Bungalows are brill.

9. If you get planning permission for a large plot of land then its a very good mix indeed.

10. I would buy a bungalow in a heartbeat if I had the money!
    Must buy lottery ticket......

11. If I remember correctly and you're the person who has boundary issues with a neighbour and a very windy allotment, then, yes, buy it. Again, if you're the same poster whose OH isn't always the most supportive, I'd make sure you have money for any repairs that need done rather than relying on his help to DIY...

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

So are we, but it must be near the sea!!

13. Now that would be the perfect bungalow!

14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Can't have it.
    We got there first!
    And we're staying put.

15. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Your allotment sounds like a very scary place, you would be better off with land around your bungalow.

16. bnm

bnm

I love living in a bunglaow! Such a little hop to the kitchen for that first cup of tea to take back to bed, and so handy to have rooms that can be flexible. We use one bedroom as a library. Our neighbour uses theirs as a dining room.

17. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Sounds like a very good investment for the future, if you are able to subdivide the plot and sell the land you don't need/can't maintain in your old age. A nice little earner to supplement your pension!

18. I love mine too!

19. pomunder

pomunder New commenter

Go for it,OP. Here in Oz, most, if not all houses built before 1990-ish are single -storey, and they're lovely.

The large garden need not be unmanageable in later years, if you plan it right at the start. I'm working on the least-work Australian garden right now.

20. Aww come on. Lapin's was older than mine