1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think food technology should be part of the curriculum?

Discussion in 'Scotland - curriculum' started by scf182, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I'm a student teacher (Secondary Design Technology) and I am doing some research on an essay I will be writing... I'm investigating Food Technology's place in the curriculum.
    Here are a few questions I am exploring. You don't have to answer all of them if you don't want to.
    <ol>[*]Do you agree or disagree with Dyson's argument that food is not a technology subject?[*]Do you agree or disagree that it should be called 'Food', not 'Food Technology'?[*]If it is not a technology subject, in what curriculum category do you think it should be? ...Civilization, PSHE, Home economics etc[*]How many lessons per week do you therefore think pupils should have?[*]Do you think food should be compulsory for all pupils?[*]Do you think food should be an extra curricular activity?[*]What do you think of licence to cook being removed from the curriculum?[*]Finally, just so I can gather secure, unbiased evidence, what age group/subject do you teach?</ol>If you can think of any other issues I could address, that'd be amazing!
    Thank you for your time!! [​IMG]

2. gnulinux

gnulinux Occasional commenter

1 Who is Dyson??? Anyway 'Food' should probably be classed as a Science.
    2 Food Science.
    3 PSE? A Science?
    4 At least 1.
    5 Yes.
    6 Not necessarily.
    7 ?licence to cook?
    8 Used to teach S1-S6 Computing.

How to minimise energy use, time and cost in cooking without compromising quality. Use of slow cookers - ceramic hobs. Cooking for food intolerance/allergy etc.
    Proper understanding and use of microwave etc. How to store food; what to store in fridge/freezer; what not to store e.g. tomatoes in fridge. Health benefits of specific foods - research into. Energy from food - vitamins etc.
    Categories of food; fruit, veg, meats, fish, herbs, spices etc. Where from. Food miles. Local food. Growing your own. Recycling food waste - composting. Food preservation - lost? skills ................................