1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think during school holidays?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Nov 23, 2019.

1. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

does anyone teach during school holidays or term-time only?

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Do you think during school holidays?

Yes of course, I have more time to think.

3. microbiology

I meant teach I have had a long day and stupid autocorrect

4. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

No. The only exceptions is for entrance tests that are close to the holidays, and even then only the odd one if really necessary.

I must admit I'm getting a little puzzled by your posts. One minute you're teaching one to one, the next groups, then you want to know about online tutoring. You charge £25 for group sessions, then it's £50. You're exhausted but tutoring all day Sunday. You also say you teach fulltime.

You've got me baffled, you must be exhausted with all the overthinking. If you work full time, you must have a reasonable salary, the tutoring should be a supplement but you're worried about the loss of income.

I think you need a few weeks off to take stock of what you really want to do and why.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Bolter likes this.
  5. microbiology

Not during the Christmas holiday?

6. microbiology

The whole idea is to give up full-time job and stick to tuition

I do 1:1, 1:2, online lessons but my main lessons are group. I have recently gave up 1:1 and 1:2 lessons at my home address as people we’re abusing.

They have had it easy with me. I was getting 25% of what I would usually earn because of the cancellations. I teach A levels and it takes forever teaching it to a group. All my lessons are charged at £50 and only the time that’s different.

7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I think you would benefit from not teaching in the holidays and thinking whether you really need to do all this tutoring on top of a full time job.

8. phatsals

How many do you have in your groups, and is that £50 each?

9. phatsals

Could I also ask if you actually teach A'Levels in school?

10. microbiology

I am a qualified teacher and yes I have been teaching A levels for nearly 12 yrs. tutoring for just under 9 yrs

11. phatsals

Then I don't understand how you can't get through the curriculum without tutoring through the holidays. I'm also struggling to understand your questions re tutoring, if you've been doing it for 9 years. It really doesn't make sense.

12. microbiology

You’re teaching style might be different then. I teach every bit of the spec, required practicals and essay. I don't just set flip learning as what they do in schools. Hence, kids get As and A* with me. There’s a reason why they come to me. I teach rather than just babysit by giving them questions for 2 hrs.

I don’t have a problem with tutoring. My problem is I am too nice and wanted to know what I have been doing wrong for parents to take me for granted. I think you’re quite judgemental. Have you not read my posts? Everything is about improving my hours.

13. phatsals

I have read your posts, all of them, for quite a considerable time. You've just made some strangely disparaging remarks about how A'levels are taught in school, yet that is your full time job.

In September you said you charged £25ph for group tutoring, now it's £50. That's a lot of tutees you're going to have to find to keep it going. It's about balance, both in work and life. Teaching is a very demanding job, yet you're teaching full time and tutoring a considerable amount of time. When do you fit in planning and prep for your day job or more importantly, for you to have a life.

It's all making you ill. Tutoring is a great way to earn a living, but you have to be prepared for peaks and troughs, both in terms of income and student numbers. If you give up full time teaching are you prepared for that? Something will have to give here, cut down your hours one way or another or you're going to be very ill.

14. microbiology

It’s £50 for 2 hrs. The A level classes are 2 hrs long.

We never finish the spec well in advance in school unless students do some topics on their own. We end up doing so many extra classes during easter holidays!

15. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

It depends. I prefer not to tutor over the Christmas period because after weeks of travelling to students in the dark, cold weather it's good to have a break. When there were real AS/A2 January modular exams there was some demand over Christmas, but not enough demand now to make it worth the inconvenience.
    I do offer Easter tuition (particularly if Easter is at the end of April) and lessons during the May half-term though. This is for my regular students, I tend to ignore emails from new people wanting lessons at a few day's notice.
    Sometimes you have to just learn to say NO to people who make last minute demands on your time as a tutor. Such people are unlikely to be reliable.

16. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I only do lessons in the holidays if people specifically request them. I usually have a small number who do request lessons but I don't encourage it. The only exception is the May half term holiday which is in the middle of GCSE's and A levels when I have lessons for those doing exams. Back when there were A level modules in January I had quite a lot of lessons over Christmas but not now.

I only do one to one tutoring, not groups. I don't feel it's my responsibility to cover the entire syllabus, they should do that at school. I just provide some extra support with topics they find difficult or may have missed or not covered at school.

briancant, bramblesarah and alsoamum like this.
  17. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I do tutor in the holidays. I email all my students and say I am teaching on Monday between 10 - 4 and ask them to reply to the email to book. I normally get 3 or 4 out out of my 14. However all my students are 1 to 1 and I mainly do it as I need the money. If I did group tuition I don't think I would tutor in the holidays. Trying to run normal hours in my opinion it more hard work for less money in the holidays.

18. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Tutoring is only a sideline for me, to supplement my pension, so I tend to be very flexible. If somebody wants to be tutored during the holiday, I am happy to agree.

19. SayItLikeItIs

SayItLikeItIs Occasional commenter

I tutor during the holidays, if the parents request. However, I have found that parents sometimes have a cancel holiday lessons at quite short notice (think play dates & other unexpected offers). Therefore I am very clear with the parents about my cancellation terms for holiday at the point of booking.

alsoamum likes this.
  20. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Yes, I've found that holiday tuition brings out the flakiness in people! I take all my availability down about a week before holidays start to stop all the "We just need to swap days as we're having a barbecue/going shopping" etc.

Knowing they will lose their fee and are not likely to get a replacement means people stop messing you about. Full stop. The only ones this puts off are the ones who plan (or would like the option) to mess you about.