1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you think an upper limit on teachers’ hours will help to redress the balance?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Mar 28, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

A union leader believes that introducing an upper limit, something along the lines of the 35 hours that was introduced in Scotland, could help to restore teachers’ autonomy and move away from the unfeasible hours preparing evidence for bureaucrats.

‘A teaching union leader has set out the case for introducing an upper limit on the number of hours teachers have to work.

Kevin Courtney, the joint general secretary of the National Education Union, was speaking to Tes ahead of the annual conference of its NUT section over the Easter weekend.

He said that introducing an upper limit would help to restore teachers' professional judgement.’

What do you think of the proposal? Do you think an upper limit on teachers' hours will help to redress the balance in this all-consuming profession? Could a limit on teachers’ hours really help to restore autonomy in the job? Do you think more needs to be done to restore the issues that are wrong in the education system? Do we need a root and branch approach to reform the education system or are there too many problems to fix?

https://www.tes.com/news/school-new...eed-upper-limit-teachers-hours-kevin-courtney

2. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

The whole accountability system needs to change to enable teachers’ hours to change. I don’t see this happening anytime soon.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

How is the 35 hours enforced in Scotland? Do they clock in and out?

lardylegs and border_walker like this.
  4. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

A 35 hour week will not happen in England's schools. There's too much work involved in being a classroom teacher to squeeze into that time. I can't see SLT saying "Ok your up to your 35 hours, now it's time to get a life..."

It is a nice dream.

lardylegs, install and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Lead commenter

It's unworkable. Even if a law is passed mandating hours it will boil down to a relatively weak teacher having to say to a member of SLT.
    "I can't do this thing you're responsible for delivering, I'm out of time"

A major factor of workload is too many 'bosses' requiring their little gram of blood.

6. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Occasional commenter

Upper limit of teachers expected to work,
    Simple mathematical solution

7 x 24 = 168 hrs

7. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Occasional commenter

P. S. that is weekly,

BetterNow and ssaleh21 like this.
  8. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

I know a teacher in a state school who was asked to do extra work with a group of students in his class. When he challenged this on the grounds that he lacks capacity as he is already working 16 hours a day, SLT looked him in the eye and told him that he'd have to work in his lunch break. He already works through lunch.

Shifting the mindset of such leaders from "give up your lunch break to exceed your 80 hour week" (excluding weekends) to "just do your 35 hours" is a fantasy. The way to reduce workload is to unpick the inappropriately applied "small group" research outcomes such as the madness surrounding marking, performance related pay, personalised learning etc and to stop creating initiatives focused on providing evidence.

State schools are blunt tools.

BetterNow, Yoda-, mrajlong and 3 others like this.
  9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Obviously, just like you lot down south, we all work more than 35 hours! You know, those extra hours in the evening, at the weekend, during the holidays and so on.

bonxie, BetterNow, Yoda- and 4 others like this.
  10. woollani

woollani Occasional commenter

is that it?

11. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Senior commenter

Get rid of the pressure that requires all that micromanagement carp.
    The head teacher will not need such a big SLT team to police all this nonsense, teachers can concentrate on teaching, less stress being passed onto students from stressed teachers. The natural order will return - sorted

TEA2111, tenpast7, chelsea2 and 2 others like this.
  12. install

install Star commenter

I cannot help thinking....

Q: What happens to the teacher who says: 'I have reached my upper limit this week and last week ?'

A They will be thanked
    B They will be offered an Overtime rate
    C They will be promoted
    D They will be asked if they need support
    E Something else

...And coming up with E everytime

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

So it is just a pipe dream then?

14. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

Actually and sadly the scariest option there is being asked "if they "need support"

15. thekillers

thekillers Established commenter

10pm seems to be the norm of finishing at the moment.

16. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

I think you mean TOLD that they need support. A support plan in fact. A formal one :rolleyes:

BetterNow and install like this.
  17. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

In my last school, the ration of teachers to those telling them what to do was about 4:1. None of these managers seemed to communicate with each other, just pile more conflicting demands on the poor teacher.

18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

The only way out of this nightmare is for teachers to be paid by the hour. Any other solution will be circumvented by ambitious managers, keen to prove themselves on the back of other's usually pointless efforts.
    In no other PROFESSION are professionals paid so little for doing so much extra.

19. Lalad

Lalad Lead commenter

The only way this would work would be for schools to be forced to pay overtime for hours worked in excess of the limit - the prospect of this might just focus the minds of those in charge of the school's budget.

Mrsmumbles, bonxie, BetterNow and 4 others like this.
  20. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

When I was averaging 63 hours a week ( lone parent, no support, disabled son) I quoted the working time directive at them and refused to do more than 48 hours.
    (Bet that gets kicked out of the window post Brexit, though.)

mrajlong and install like this.