1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do you teach PE at any point in the school year? Tax relief information.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jubilee, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Some time ago I wrote to the Inland Revenue to ask if I was eligible
    to claim tax relief on the provision of a PE kit that I have available
    in case I get a day or part-day of teaching PE.

    I have finally had a reply, agreeing that I can claim the tax relief and can make a claim for arrears based on this allowance.

    The rules allow for us to offset a fixed sum against tax. The
    sum is £60 for each tax year from 2008-09 and £45 for 2005/06, 2006/07
    and 2007/08.

    Anyone able to go back 6 tax years would be
    offsetting £315 against tax and as long as they paid tax in each of the
    tax years, would get back £63 in tax and would have 6 added to their
    current year tax code, reducing their tax in pay to the 5th April 2012
    by £12.

    You need to claim before 31st January 2012 in order to be
    able to get tax back for the 2005-06 tax year and you might as well claim
    for all later years at the same time.

    If you delay, you could
    lose more than the tax rebate for the earliest tax year as they are soon
    to limit back-claims to just 4 tax years.

    The rules for this allowance are that you have to purchase a PE kit and are responsible for repair, laundry and replacement.

    A claim just needs to be a letter to any tax office, with your NI number and the tax years and allowances applying mentioned .

    get the money back as a lump sum, instead of in dribs and drabs through
    weekly or monthly pay, include details of your bank account (sort code +
    a/c number and name).
    Higher rate taxpayers woould get back
    double the tax rebates quoted (on the same tax relief amounts of £45 and
    £60) as they will have paid double the tax on the money originally.
  2. Not true paulie86- i claimed and got the tax relief back
  3. paulie86

    paulie86 New commenter

    LOL. As stated, my mother is a tax advisor working for HMRC and the entitlement is not for this! Not denying people have been allowed it though.

Share This Page