1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do you teach PE at any point in the school year? Tax Relief information.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jubilee, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Some time ago I wrote to the Inland Revenue to ask if I was eligible
    to claim tax relief on the provision of a PE kit that I have available
    in case I get a day or part-day of teaching PE.
    I have finally had a reply, agreeing that I can claim the tax relief and can make a claim for arrears based on this allowance.

    The rules allow for us to offset a fixed sum against tax. The
    sum is £60 for each tax year from 2008-09 and £45 for 2005/06, 2006/07
    and 2007/08.
    Anyone able to go back 6 tax years would be
    offsetting £315 against tax and as long as they paid tax in each of the
    tax years, would get back £63 in tax and would have 6 added to their
    current year tax code, reducing their tax in pay to the 5th April 2012
    by £12.
    You need to claim before 31st January 2012 in order to be
    able to get tax back for the 2005-06 tax year and you might as well claim
    for all later years at the same time.
    If you delay, you could
    lose more than the tax rebate for the earliest tax year as they are soon
    to limit back-claims to just 4 tax years.
    The rules for this allowance are that you have to purchase a PE kit and are responsible for repair, laundry and replacement.
    A claim just needs to be a letter to any tax office, with your NI number and the tax years and allowances applying mentioned .
    get the money back as a lump sum, instead of in dribs and drabs through
    weekly or monthly pay, include details of your bank account (sort code +
    a/c number and name).
    Higher rate taxpayers woould get back double the tax rebates quoted (on the same tax relief amounts of £45 and £60) as they will have paid double the tax on the money originally.
  2. Thanks for posting with this information. I am an HLTA who is a primary PE specialist and I teach whole school PE in my current role. I have a change of clothes every day!
    Can I ask what other information you put in your letter?
  3. Sillow

    Sillow Lead commenter

    Very interesting to know - thanks, Jubilee. I teach my class PE as well as taking dance and netball clubs; I might as well see what I can claim back from the last few years!
    You are my fount of all legal/money knowledge on here!
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    You write a letter to the Inland revenue, containing your contact details and your National Insurance number.
    You state that you work as an (?) in a school and are required to provide, repair nad launder your own uniform for PE sessions.
    You state that you have been informed that there is a fixed allowance to be offset against tax for uniform wearers and that you wish to back claim for 6 tax years (or however many are applicable) as well as the current tax year.
    The fixed amounts which can be offset are in my original post.
    You send the letter (to arrive by 31st Jan 2012 at the latest if you want to get the rebate for 2005-06) to the tax office listed on your payslips/P60 or to the generic HM Revenue & Customs, Pay As You Earn, P O Box 1970, Liverpool, L75 1WX OR INDEED TO ANY TAX OFFICE.
    wRITE 'Repayment5 Claim' on the envelope to speed things up.
    Give your bank details to get a lump sum rebate or ask for a cheque payment. If you don't, they will adjust your tax code and you'll get the money back eventually via reduced tax each week/month.

Share This Page