1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Do you teach PE at any point in the school year? Tax relief information.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jubilee, Jan 21, 2012.

  1. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Some time ago I wrote to the Inland Revenue to ask if I was eligible
    to claim tax relief on the provision of a PE kit that I have available
    in case I get a day or part-day of teaching PE.
    I have finally had a reply, agreeing that I can claim the tax relief and can make a claim for arrears based on this allowance.

    The rules allow for us to offset a fixed sum against tax. The
    sum is £60 for each tax year from 2008-09 and £45 for 2005/06, 2006/07
    and 2007/08.
    Anyone able to go back 6 tax years would be
    offsetting £315 against tax and as long as they paid tax in each of the
    tax years, would get back £63 in tax and would have 6 added to their
    current year tax code, reducing their tax in pay to the 5th April 2012
    by £12.
    You need to claim before 31st January 2012 in order to be
    able to get tax back for the2005-06 tax year and you might as well claim
    for all later years at the same time.
    If you delay, you could
    lose more than the tax rebate for the earliest tax year as they are soon
    to limit back-claims to just 4 tax years.
    The rules for this allowance are that you have to purchase a PE kit and are responsible for repair, laundry and replacement.
    A claim just needs to be a letter to any tax office, with your NI number and the tax years and allowances applying mentioned .
    get the money back as a lump sum, instead of in dribs and drabs through
    weekly or monthly pay, include details of your bank account (sort code +
    a/c number and name).
  2. Does this also apply for other things we buy to do our job or just PE kit? Wish I had an accountant (for free) as tax seems such a strange thing!
  3. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Tax Relief is available for professional expenses incurred ' wholly and exclusively' in order to be able to do your job.
    You can't claim for ordinary work clothing or for travel to work expenses or meals ect.
    You cannot claim for things that you choose to buy or those that you also make use of privately. They might make your job easier or be your preference for resources but if you , or a colleague, can fulfill your duties without them (publications etc) they are not eligible expenses.
    Your employer is expected to provide you with the resources to do your job and, in teaching, PE kits are an exception.
    A Science teacher might be able to claim a similar allowance to the PE one if they have to buy their own lab coat and take care of the laundry for it.
    Other than that, you can offset the cost of the GTC against tax and also the allowable portion of your Union fess (two thirds of an NUT feee is allowable and 9 tenths of an ATL one- check otehr unions for their allowable fraction).
    Go back 6 tax years if you haven't claimed in the past. deadline of 31.1.12 for the 2005-2006 tax year.

Share This Page