1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Do you teach key stage 3 R.S thematically or by religion?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by jessiejump, May 27, 2011.

1. I used to do the units by religion but now I am much more inclined to do it thematically. It gives the students the opportunity to compare and contrast the religions you examine with each other. It allows for more reflective learning and personal response of the different religions and how they approach the topic or issue. My yr 8 schem of work is alot more issue bases than in the past to prepare studnets for the OCR short course Phil and Ethics starting in Yr 9. For example 'Why do we suffer?' and 'Why stand up for Justice?' and 'What is religious diversity?' 'How was the world created?' All of these I started this year as new schemes of work and are much more engaging for the students tham doing a unit on Christianity or Hinduism as a religion on its own for half a term. The danger of this is that it becomes mechanical and general which is not how followers of the religion would want it to be percieved. I work in quite a challenging school and I have seen a more positive view on RE approaching this way ,but that is just my personal experience. Every teacher and school is different. J x

2. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

When I took on my current role the school did one religion per term. Western ones in Yr 7 and Eastern ones in Yr 8. I taught that for the first year but am now moving to a thematic SoW with the current Yr 7s, which will extend into Yr 8 in September.

3. I used to do it by religion but I do it thematically now. I find that you can go much much deeper qnd prefer to do less but more if that makes sense? Also if you look at some of the excellent ideas from lat and the RE Today team most of that is thematic or themes within a religion.